Sbuchler's Reviews > Dark Side of the Moon

it was ok
bookshelves: scifi-fantasy, romance, read-in-2010
Read from July 25 to 26, 2010

Genre: Paranormal Romance

The cover of this novel was highly misleading. It was given to me as a gift, and based on the cover I assumed it would be like the Dresden Files. It isn’t. It’s a romance novel. The supernatural elements and the world-building (and the longevity of the hero!) are all superficial. I feel like a whole lot of mythology (from random sources) has been mixed up willy-nilly with the modern vampire-urban-fantasy ethos without much integration. As an urban fantasy novel it’s a disappointment. As a romance novel, it’s not bad. The sex scenes are steamy. The hero and heroine have complementary tragic pasts that mean they “understand” each other at a gut level. Kenyon has a tendency to tell, rather then show (and be rather trite about the telling, too) – but when she does show their behavior towards one another it’s rather sweet.

The heroine, Sue, is something of a MarySue – she’d disturbingly competent at EVERYTHING (journalism, sword swinging, marshal arts, shooting…), and everyone on-screen seems to admire her (it’s just the “world” that’s betrayed her). She also has the urban-fantasy requisite smart-mouth, which makes for some witty repartee. The hero, Ravyn, is your standard tall, dark, handsome and brooding hero with a Tragic Past (tm). He has the added bonus of being immortal. And a were (a were-kitty, rather then werewolf. But still...) My biggest complaint with their romance is the element of divine decree involved in it – I grew out of liking the idea of Recognition (a la Elfquest) a long time ago. It now feels like a cop-out to me; a way of allowing the hero and heroine to skip the relationship-building step and skip directly to the happily-ever-after part.

It’s actually the non-romance plot elements that intrigue me. Dark Side of the Moon is obviously part of a long story arc. I’m not sure how much the non-romance plots were advanced during this novel, but some significant screen-time was accorded them. It’s reminiscent of the long-term plot elements in Laurell Hamilton’s Meredith Gentry series, except that more is happening (and more time was devoted to them!). Since Dark of the Moon is in middle of the series (and I haven’t read the others), I’m not sure where the plot is going (or where it’s been) but it’s got enough potential that I might read others in the series next time I want romantic brain candy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Side of the Moon.