Christine's Reviews > Body Surfing

1955236
Jul 29, 10

bookshelves: decent-fiction
Read from July 26 to 29, 2010

This is Shreve's fourth story about the same New England beach house. This is the story of Sydney, a once-widowed, once-divorced, young woman who lives with a family during a summer to tutor their daughter.

Sydney becomes part of the family - older sister to the girl she's tutoring, friend to the father, and an object of interest and competition for the two brothers. The tale that unfolds is sad - difficult to watch people undo themselves, yet still surprising because the exact way they behave startles you.

I have to admit that I almost put this book down twice. The fact that this is part of the "house" books is the only thing that kept me going. The characters are poorly-developed and shallow in the beginning. Some characters Shreve fleshes out, but not all. The pace of the book is difficult to get into. Short paragraphs with superficial information failed to grab me until about 50 pages in.

I feel like Shreve was compelled to write another book about the house. The story of the people living in the house seemed to come as an afterthought. Not Shreve's best work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Body Surfing.

07/26/2010 page 36
07/28/2010 page 177
53.0% "So let me guess. She marries one brother and ends up with the other one? It's feeling pretty predictable. . ."