Leesa's Reviews > Along for the Ride

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

Jul 26, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Along for the Ride.

Quotes Leesa Liked

Sarah Dessen
“Who says there has to be a point?" He asked. "Or a reason. Maybe it's just something you have to do.”

Sarah Dessen
“Friends are honest with each other. Even if the truth hurts.
-Maggie”

Sarah Dessen
“Relationships dont always make sense. Especially from the outside”

Sarah Dessen
“But sometimes you lose. Nothing you can do but admit it.
-Eli”

Sarah Dessen
“Life is full of screwups. You're supposed to fail sometimes. It's a required part of the human existance.”

Sarah Dessen
“An ending was an ending. No matter how many pages of sentences and paragraphs of great stories led up to it, it would always have the last word.”

Sarah Dessen
“It shouldn't be easy to be amazing. Then everything would be. It's the things you fight for and struggle with before earning that have the greatest worth. When something's difficult to come by, you'll do that much more to make sure it's even harder―or impossible―to lose.”

Sarah Dessen
“It didn't make you noble to step away from something that wasn't working, even if you thought you were the reason for the malfunction. Especially then. It just made you a quitter. Because if you were the problem, chances were you could also be the solution. The only way to find out was to take another shot.”

Sarah Dessen
“The basic fact is that no, this isnt ideal. Very few things are. Sometimes, you have to manufacture your own history. Give fate a push,so to speak.
-Heidi”

Sarah Dessen
“So maybe it wasn't the fairy tale. But those stories weren't real anyway. Mine were.”

Sarah Dessen
“You couldn't just pick and choose at will when someone depended on you, or loved you. It wasn't like a light switch, easy to turn on or off. If you were in, you were in. Out, you were out.”

Sarah Dessen
“Maybe it was true, and being a girl could be about interest rates and skinny jeans, riding bikes and wearing pink. Not about any one thing, but everything.”

Sarah Dessen
“It was so easy to disown what you couldn't recognize, to keep yourself apart from things that were foreign and unsettling. The only person you can be sure to control, always, is yourself. Which is a lot to be sure of, but at the same time, not enough.”

Sarah Dessen
“People don't change. If anything, you get more set in your ways as you get older, not less”

Sarah Dessen
“It was so weird, because usually I was totally nervous talking to guys. But Eli was different. He made me want to say more, not less. Which was maybe not a good thing.”

Sarah Dessen
“This is a 911? You know you only text that when someone is dead or dying. You scared the crap out of me.”

Sarah Dessen
“It all counts,' Adam said again. 'And the bottom line is, what defines you isn't how many times you crash, but the number of times you get back on the bike. As long as it's one more, you're all good.-pg 325 Along for the Ride”

Sarah Dessen
“If you're not getting hurt, you're not riding hard enough.”

Sarah Dessen
“It's not always easy being her daughter.'

I think,' she said, 'sometimes it's hard no matter whose daughter you are.”

Sarah Dessen
“He was the closest thing I'd ever had to something, or someone, that mattered. But in the end, close didn't count. You were either in, or you weren't.”

Sarah Dessen
“I told you, everyone understands a quest.”

Sarah Dessen
“Why should I even bother? What's the point, really?"
He thought for a moment. "Who says there has to be a point?" he asked. "Or a reason. Maybe it's just something you have to do.”

Sarah Dessen
“I don't know," I said. "What else did you do for your first eighteen years?"
"Like I said," he said as I unlocked the car, "I'm not so sure that you should go by my example."
"Why not?"
"Because I have my regrets," he said. "Also, I'm a guy. And guys do different stuff."
"Like ride bikes?" I said.
"No," he replied. "Like have food fights. And break stuff. And set off firecrackers on people's front porches. And..."
"Girls can't set off firecrackers on people's front porches?"
"They can," he said... "But they're smart enough not to. That's the difference.”

Sarah Dessen
“This thought was interrupted, suddenly, by a crash from the front entrance. We all looked over just in time to see Adam bending back from the glass, rubbing his arm.
"Pull open," Maggie called out. As Leah rolled her eyes, she said, "He never remembers. It's so weird.”

Sarah Dessen
“[Adam picks up the camera] "I have to get a shot of this."
The reaction in the room was swift, and unanimous: every single person except me raised their hands at once to cover their faces. The accompanying utterances, though, were varied. I heard everything from "Please no" (Maggie), to "Jesus Christ" (Wallace), to "Stop it or die" (I'm assuming it's obvious).”

Sarah Dessen
“You know," I told him,"if you don't know how to eat a cupcake, that's nothing to be ashamed of."
Now he did smile. "I know how to eat a cupcake."
"Sure you do."
"I do," he said. "I just don't want one of those."
"Yeah? Prove it.”

Sarah Dessen
“Morning would come before we knew it. It always did. But we still had the night, and for now, we were together, so I just closed my eyes and drank it all in.”

Sarah Dessen
“I trailed off and he didn't push me to finish. I was finding that I liked that.”
tags: auden

Sarah Dessen
“It was so risky and so scary, and yet at the same time, so beautiful. Maybe the truth was, it shouldn't be easy to be amazing. Then everything would be. It's the things you fight for and struggle with before earning that have the greatest worth.”

Sarah Dessen
“I waited. Because with Eli, he was never trying to get you to finish for him. He always knew where he was going, even if it took a little while to get there.”

Sarah Dessen
“The truth was, I wasn't sure. But I wanted to keep believing people could change, and it was certainly easier to do so when you were in the midst of it.”

Sarah Dessen
“What do you do when you finally hear everything you've always thought said aloud?”

Sarah Dessen
“Life is full of screwups," he said, chucking another paper at the split-level before taking the corner. "You're supposed to fail sometimes. It's a required part of the human existence.”

Sarah Dessen
“Because if you were the problem, chances were you could also be the solution. The only way to find out was to take another shot.”

Sarah Dessen
“It's still a memory worth having, even if it's not exactly what you imagined.”

Sarah Dessen
“Hollis " I said "you're messing with me right now aren't you You're in Paris or somewhere and just-"
"What " he replied. "No This is the real deal. Here I'll prove it."
There was a muffled noise followed by some static. Then I heard my mother recite at a distance in her most droll flat tone "Yes. It is true. Your brother is in love and in my kitchen.”

Sarah Dessen
“My point is you're different here.
Hollis I've only been here for a month.
A lot can happen in a month he replied. Shoot in two weeks I met my future wife changed my entire life's trajectory and bought my first tie.
You bought a tie I asked. Because honestly this was the most shocking part.”