Beth's Reviews > The Moon by Night

The Moon by Night by Madeleine L'Engle

Jul 06, 13

bookshelves: reviewed

Madeleine L'Engle has been one of my favorite authors for a long time now, ever since I read A Wrinkle in Time when I was in third grade. In her Austin family series, she creates another family that is completely unique and compelling.

L'Engle has a real gift for writing realistic teenage girls. The reason I love these books so much is because I knew Vicki. At certain points in my life I was her. I understood all her moodiness and frustration and passion and fear and joy. Her fights with her family, her unaccountable despair, her every wrong decision... Vicki is a living, breathing human being.

What I remember most clearly is reading the ending at twelve, and then reading it again at seventeen. At twelve, reading the "I am me" ending, at the end of the journey, as if it were the answer to all Vicki's questions, made me drop the book in disgust. It felt like a cop out then, like L'Engle couldn't answer the question. At seventeen, though, the answer made perfect sense. In fact, it was the only answer.

This is a book in which you discover yourself along with Vicki. This is a book that grows up with you. And this is a book that is timeless and will never grow old.

(Review written July 2010. Reread July 2013.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moon by Night.