Amanda Mastran's Reviews > Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin

Jul 26, 10

bookshelves: autism-related, non-fiction, favorites

I've never learned as much about as wide a range of topics from any other single book. The way Grandin weaves her vast knowledge about animal behavior, Autism, neurology, and genetics (both human and animal) into one cohesive text continues to astound me and speaks to how much our society misses out on by undervaluing those who think beyond what we know as the norm. We "neurotypical" people are neurologically designed to think within certain parameters. Some people with Autism are able to think beyond those boundaries, making connections and opening up possibilities beyond the rest of us.

In this one book we find a detailed analysis of animal behavior (specifically how humans affect animal behavior), a description and call to action regarding our responsibility to the animals in our care, an analysis of the neurological and behavioral differences between nuerotypical people and people with Autism, a detailed account of the thought process of one woman with Autism, an appreciation for the ways people with Autism can improve our society in the ways neurotypical people cannot, and a picture of Grandin's development as she turned what some would have described as her "Autism symptoms," "difficulties," or "differences" into a fulfilling and successful vocation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals in Translation.