Jessi's Reviews > I Am Not A Serial Killer

I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells

Jul 26, 10

bookshelves: audiobook, fantasy, suspense, teen
Read in June, 2007

Narrator: John Allen Nelson

Summary: "John works in his family's mortuary and has an obsession with serial killers. He wants to be a good person but fears he is a sociopath, and for years he has suppressed his dark side through a strict system of rules designed to mimic "normal" behavior. Then a demon begins stalking his small town and killing people one by one, and John is forced to give in to his darker nature in order to save them. As he struggles to understand the demon and find a way to kill it, his own mind begins to unravel until he fears he may never regain control. Faced with the reality that he is, perhaps, more monstrous than the monster he is fighting, John must make a final stand against the horrors of both the demon and himself" -- from publisher's web site.

The narrator's voice did not work for me at all in this book. He sounded like a seventy year old newscaster rather than a fifteen year old boy. Also, later in the book, we are actually told that John has a higher-pitched voice. However, I was intrigued by the story enough to keep listening and get over the voice. The story itself was excellent and was paced just right for an audiobook. It is only six discs long and the story moves along quickly. Like the Dexter series, you find yourself in the interesting position of empathizing with a sociopath. However, Wells' is not a copy of Lindsay's books - John's story manages to stand all on its own. It is unique in that John, as a teenager, while fully aware of his own sociopathic tendencies (lack of empathy, etc.) and obession with famous serial killers, has given himself the difficult task of not becoming a serial killer himself. He devises an interesting set of rules to curb his violent tendencies, but all of his rules are challenged when a real serial killer shows up in his small town. I can't say more without giving away too much, but I Am Not a Serial Killer is definitly worth a read - or a listen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Not A Serial Killer.