Amanda Vance's Reviews > I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend

I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend by Cora Harrison

Jul 26, 10

Read in July, 2010

Jenny Cooper is an immediately likable character, risking everything to get a letter to Jane’s mother to let her know that she is very ill. Like many of Austen’s own characters, you get a sense of who she is right away and she’s endearing through the thoughts she keeps in her diary. The book is meant for teen readers and Jenny is just 16 years old so the diary reflects the thoughts and dreams of a girl that age, many of which are true no matter what time in which you live.

This books is a great place to start off a teenager to open the world of Jane Austen, giving some background on Jane and including illusions to characters from Austen’s books. It combines fiction with things we know about Jane Austen and her family in a storytelling style similar to Austen’s books. Those who have not read Austen before may find themselves wanting to know more and picking up one of her books. Those who love Austen already will see the similarities and enjoy the places where characters and names pop up. It made me want to go back and read them all again!

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend.