Jennifer's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Jul 26, 10

bookshelves: owned
Read in July, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This book was amazing! I read this book in one day (well, I stayed up until 1a to finish it, but since I didn't go to bed it was still the same day!). I can understand how some people thought it was slow at first and I do agree that some parts seemed to drag on, but I was glad that they did as it explained a lot about Katniss, her thoughts and motivations for her actions. When she volunteered to take Prim's place I really thought for a minute that Gale was going to volunteer for whoever got pulled from the boys bin. I was surprised when he ddint, but also glad as I was not terribly impressed with his character. I do not want her to end up with him. And I know Katniss said she would not get married, but I get the feeling that once her sister gets older and gets her own life Katniss may change her mind. I loved how truly worried for Peeta she was once she found out that 2 could win and how even though she didnt always want to she took very good care of him. I really hope they can work things out. And I hope that Katniss, Peeta and Haymitch can all find a way to deal with the trauma together. I noticed that a lot of people have said that no wonder he drinks, he has to watch all of these kids die, but I get the feeling that most years he stays drunk during the games. That dinner when Peeta was yelling at him, and Haymitch hit Peeta and Katniss almost stabbed Haymitch, he said well you two have some fight in you, you might just make it and that he would stay sober enough to coach them. That scene made me think that the other tributes didnt stand a chance and so he didnt bother to try to help him. I thought this topic was very intense and a little scary for the age group it was aimed at. So excited for the rest of the series! Cannot wait to see what happens to all of the characters!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.