Ted Trembinski's Reviews > Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose

Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh

May 23, 11

bookshelves: travis-finance, kindle
Read from May 18 to 23, 2011

Both Hsieh's autobiography as well as Zappo's corporate history, this book reminds me somewhat of the books I've read on other internet companies. The main difference here is that Hsieh is speaking for himself.

The first section of the book seems to tell the story of a bored yet intelligent and hard working Hsieh, as he quit his first job out of college and started his own business. To me, this part of his life made me resent him a bit. While clearly he put his time in and has never stopped working hard, he plays it off like not a big deal.

Later, he gets involved as an investor, and eventual CEO, of Zappos. Again and again we read the line "...and just in time...the company was saved." It seems like for the first five years of it's existence, Zappos was always on the verge of failing, but Hsieh seemed to keep pouring his money and energy into, growing it's culture and legacy.

I suppose that learning these corporate lessons are more effective when told through example, but I if check out Zappos' corporate values, as well as the last chapter on frameworks of happieness, you could intuitively extract the same lessons.

If you've never heard of Zappos, you should check them out. They really do provide an excellent level of customer service. If you're interested in their corporate culture, check this book out. Otherwise, stick with the shoes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delivering Happiness.