Andy M.'s Reviews > Running the Table: The Legend of Kid Delicious, the Last Great American Pool Hustler

Running the Table by L. Jon Wertheim

M 50x66
Dec 31, 2007

Read in December, 2007

I got this book for Christmas and, once I started reading it, I could hardly put it down. More than a sports biography, this book gave me an excellent look at the world of pool hustling circa the turn of the current century. There was much to like: the descriptions of the pool halls; details regarding how hustlers move from locale to locale, looking for action; the incredible wagers these guys make over various billiards games AND props like coin flips; the dedication many of these hustlers have when it comes to perfecting their skills and honing their craft. And Danny "Kid Delicious" Basavich proved to be the perfect character to focus on. Pushing 300 lbs while in his teens, struggling with horrendous depression, it was amazing to see how pool and the next hustle emerged as Delicious' salvation, really.

Also riveting: how the internet essentially torpedoed this incredibly murky and colorful subculture.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running the Table.