Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > Star Light, Star Bright

Star Light, Star Bright by Iris Johansen

Sep 07, 10

bookshelves: owned-copy, loveswept, category-contemporary-romance, hero-in-pursuit, bodyguard-protector, governess-or-schoolmarm, part-of-a-series, opposites-attract, hero-i-loved, heroine-i-loved
Recommended for: Fans of Iris Johansen and Loveswept Contemporary Romances
Read from September 04 to 05, 2010, read count: 1

How does Ms. Johansen come up with these quirky characters and unusual story ideas? Gunner is something else. A daredevil who assumes risk as part of his job with the Clanad. He takes care of little Andrew, who went through a traumatic event that caused him to segment his personality, an action that could prove very dangerous for a powerful telepath like this boy. Part of his plan is to hire a nanny to help watch out for Andrew as they spend time at Andrew's mother's cottage with a man who could help in Andrew's therapy. Steven is a grown man who has an extremely low IQ and needs help being functional in society. Gunner believes that Andrew will gravitate towards Steven, and this will help him heal from his own mental trauma.

Quenby is a very conventional woman who has dedicated herself to caring for children as a highly trained nanny. She takes the job to care for Andrew, having no idea what kind of crazy scenario she will involve herself with. She falls in love with Andrew, and ends up falling in love with the risk-taker Gunner.

Gunner believes in the concept of fated mates, and knows that Quenby is his. He hits the ground running in his pursuit of Quenby, proving to be a tough man to resist for the lonely Quenby, who was betrayed in love once, and has kept herself from getting involved since then. Gunner loves everything about Quenby, and is determined to show her that they belong together. He believes he's a freak because of his psychic gifts, and has a savior complex, because he wasn't there to protect his family when they were massacred by the soldiers that invaded and absorbed his small native country. Since then, he's put himself at risk again and again on behalf of his adopted family, the Clanad, a group of psychic people who've settled in Sedikhan.

Quenby doesn't like Gunner's tendency to put himself in danger. She wants to protect him and keep him safe. She's cautious about their courtship, but definitely feels the strong attraction between them.

Star Light, Star Bright has Ms. Johansen's characteristic sensuality and compelling romance. The story of Andrew and Steven's healing process is poignant, as well as Gunner's issues with the loss of his family and his inadequacies about his psychic gifts. I found Gunner adorable. I could see why Quenby couldn't resist him. This was a good story, but I liked A Tough Man To Tame a little more, since the pace was a little faster in that book. But, it was great to read about Quenby and Gunner's courtship, since they show up as a happily married couple in A Tough Man to Tame. It's been great to get copies of Iris Johansen's oldies. Looking forward to reading more of them.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Light, Star Bright.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I still haven't read anything by Iris Johansen, even though I see her books evvvvvvverywhere!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I love her older romances. I don't read her new suspense books. I think you'd like her old stuff, Dhestiny.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, Danielle. I need to do some research and try to come up with a list of good ones!

message 4: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Have you been writing reviews on steroids Dr D? I can't keep up with them all!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick AgentScully wrote: "Have you been writing reviews on steroids Dr D? I can't keep up with them all!"

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!! Don't do that without posting a warning first! Now I have to clean my monitor again!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) LOL. I did a major category romance binge, so I had to do a lot of reviews. I'm exhausted. And I have two more to do today!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Dhestiny, you can put in Iris Johansen when you go to my shelves, and it will pull up a bunch of her category romances. I've been collecting them pretty hard last and this year.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Dhestiny, you can put in Iris Johansen when you go to my shelves, and it will pull up a bunch of her category romances. I've been collecting them pretty hard last and this year."

Thanks, Danielle! I'll be sure and do that. I might get to go to a library book store today. .50 cents per book? Sign me up!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I love when you can get books that cheap!!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I know! Then if I don't like them, I can take them to the UBS and get $2 credit towards something else, so I'm not out any money.