David's Reviews > One Day of Life

One Day of Life by Manlio Argueta

Jul 25, 08

bookshelves: wrist-slashingly-depressing, read-in-2008, emotionally-manipulative, utter-dreck
Read in June, 2008

From the unassailable heights of the MORAL HIGH GROUND, the author manipulates the reader from the very first sentence. Though I have no doubt that atrocities were committed in El Salvador, it seems entirely probable that this happened on both sides, a complication that this book never even contemplates. I despise this kind of agitprop masquerading as literature, wherein the reader is manipulated to feel badly for not having the appropriate reaction to the author's button-pushing.

If you enjoy being played like a cheap violin, this shameless exercise in emotional manipulation may be for you. If you ask for a little more in your reading, then give it a miss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day of Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mike These comments are so naive. Of course there's only one viewpoint because it's written from a villager's perspective. And if you'd like to comment on Salvadoran violence, you should do some research first. Look up Roberto D'Aubuisson.

David Ahhhh. One of the enduring joys of goodreads - the opportunity to be patronized by 19-year olds.

message 3: by C. (new)

C. Oi!

message 4: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker Ha ha ha ha ha. Good one, David! (Now, am I referring to your review or post #2?)

David Oops! Sorry, Choupette (and others). I have benefited from the comments of several insightful 19-year olds since joining the site.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen Yeah. I am 19....in my heart.

Mike I can say what I think regardless of my age.