Milan/zzz's Reviews > Season Of Secrets

Jul 26, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: young-adults, magical-realism
Read from July 26 to 27, 2010

This is definitively not as poignant as her debut ”Ways to Live Forever” and I must say that my expectations were a little bit higher. Now, here comes the problem I have with almost all YA books; I totally don’t know how to rate them. I mean this book has fantastic reviews, Sunny liked it as well (but then Sunny is a mother and is more than familiar with the language of young girls) while I’m everything but that.

Molly is totally cute and some of her conclusions provoked many “aww”s so I guess Nicholls has done a great job in capturing voice of kids but I really didn’t expect anything like this. The metaphors of dying and rebirth is really nice but relying THAT much on the myth and imagination looks like easier way. Therefore I’m little bit disappointed how in emotional sense this book has, not failed but was kind of average (which is SO not the case with ”Ways to Live Forever”) but then I strongly advise you not to take too seriously my words cause, as I said I’m not that much into YA books and I’m sure I could be quite harsh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Season Of Secrets.

07/26/2010 page 151