Ruth's Reviews > Miss Wonderful

Miss Wonderful by Loretta Chase

Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: regency-victorian, series, historical-romance, wounded-injured-hero
Read from January 28 to 31, 2011

I really enjoyed this story. The author has taken two things which I love in HRs and woven them into a great love story: historical fact with the Industrial Revolution and canals, and a real location in the Peak District, one of my favorite places in England.

The heroine and hero are conventional, but with a great twist, and both of them are far more complex than they appear. The heroine has been compelled by self-imposed duty and love for her home to relinquish her own hopes for romance and passion, and the hero has many personal problems that he has become adept at hiding.

The charismatic hero is incredibly likable - one of those men that all women throw themselves at and all men enjoy spending time with. The heroine is a hard-nosed, rather unscrupulous and not particularly likable woman. But by the end, and without changing her character one bit, I found myself really rather admiring her and respecting her. Women did do what she had to do.

But it was the setting and the historical theme that totally drew me in. The descriptions of both Matlock Bath and the political rough and tumble of commerce and the infringement of industry on pastoral life are absolutely spot on.

And, to top it all, this is a series, and handled exactly how a series should be - minimal invasion of repeating secondary characters but oblique references to important figures.

I knocked it down from 5 stars to 4, because until the halfway point, I really couldn't see any romantic attachment between the hero and heroine beyond a bit of lust, availability and convenience. It all worked it's way put in the end, and in a way I was very happy with, but I was a bit confused to start with.

4 stars. I really liked it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Wonderful.

Tammy Walton Grant Dammit, Ruth, another series?!?! LOL.

Question for you, is the writing style of this book similar to Lord of Scoundrels?

Ruth I've had this one lurking on my kindle for months...

The writing is similar, but not as light.