LooseLips's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: hmmm, re-reading
Recommended for: the people who live in upstate egg.

The eh Gatsby

Classic. Yes. THE great American novel. Hmph, so I heard. I suppose it should make one more interested, or at least feel more compelled to read something (or re-read as is the case here) when it has "classic" and "everyone else loves it!" stamped all over it. And has a movie made out of it, though what beloved novel hasn't these days? Of course, I originally read FSF's Gatsby because I was expected to for a high school English class. So, even though I was never the type to do homework, I read The Great Gatsby because it had a neat cover, Fitzgerald is fun to say, and, of course, the legend of Zelda.

Unfortunately for Meredyth, my thoughts on Gatsby 10 years ago are pretty similar to the thoughts I have on it today: How pretty. Pretty decedant. How drippy. How zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It's not that I was completely uninterested. It's that my interest was never piqued to the point of really giving a shit. Sure, who doesn't love a hot mysteriously wealthy man with serious heart ache for a serious material girl? What about those rich dudes who may be crooks but no one can figger out how crooked they are exactly because how crooked can you be if you throw such mean hoedowns?!

Oh, and I love a good morally ambiguous-protaganist/narrator-who-hates-parties-and-society-but-just-can't-seem-to-stay-away as much as the next person, but Nick, our hero, just wants to be liked so very much, and unfortunately, he reads like a sap. And when all the other characters are unforgivable bores, I would prefer that my ambiguous, socially mandated narrator manage to keep me awake.

What about those three stars? You ask. Well I can't lie. I do think Fitz had a way with words. I did find that those subtle nuances of the variations in lifestyle during the depression to be very much in effect, and I would be happy to visit any fictional small town called West Egg. Or East Egg for that matter. And I get the kind of crazy he was going for in his more psychopathic character, George Wilson, who, because he was in love, becomes the bastiOn of normalcy even when he is driven to murder and his own suicide.

FSF did manage to be believably compassionate towards his seemingly less insane characters, (who are all on the brink of insanity) (but still made me drowsy). There is definitely a part of me that sees how one could be drawn into the twinkly lit world FSF created, supposedly, out of his own reality, and I have noted his passion for the beauty of the unfolding story, such as it is.

But I was disappointed 10 years ago by the story's inability to convince me it wasn't nap time, its unwillingness to point out the the relevance of the individual over society, and the irrelevance of the world Gatsby inhabits, and I was disappointed again this past week.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

LooseLips i never cared much for gatsby. i love the movie because robert redford was hott. hence even three stars.

however i havent read it since i was 18, so i may give it another go. or not.

Meredyth You need to re-read it. It is a perfect work of fiction. Everything that is included is nessasry and used to it's fullest. This is THE great American novel.

LooseLips maybe if he had called it "still life with gatsby and great frog pajamas."

message 4: by Zalman (new)

Zalman Count me in as one who only got halfway through my "Great Gatsby" assignment in the 8th grade. Can't really explain the major lack of engagement there, except for my puerility (yeah, that's a real word). So count me in for giving it another try. Someday.

I've never seen the movie, either; though I like Robert Redford well enough, I never found him hott. Someday (after I've read the book).

Otherwise, nice thoughtful review, LL, except: "bastiOn" (also BTW in your comments on Lolita, the author's name is NabOkov"). And as for "...George Wilson,...driven to murder and his own suicide." Is it conceivable he might have been driven to anyone else's suicide besides his own (see Department of Unnecessary Redundancies, Superfluous Modifiers Section)?

message 5: by LooseLips (last edited Feb 28, 2008 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

LooseLips man. does anyone else have their DAD on this site with them?!

now that youve properly edited my review(s) you have to vote on it. so i can win a $20 gift certificate.

its the least you can do from your perch in denmark.

Johanna i voted for it. even though i vehemently disagree with you and think the GG is one of the greats, or at least one of the very very goods, i still enjoyed reading your review. regarding editing, in your post submitting your review to the contest, you didn't link your review. you linked the book. you don't want to mess with the rules honey, now do ya?

message 7: by LooseLips (last edited Feb 28, 2008 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

LooseLips i lied i fixed it.

and i appreciate your ability to see past our disagreement and in to the nitty gritty. winning. and accolades.

ahwoogah.

message 8: by Zalman (new)

Zalman Yes, LL, I have now voted (you needn't thank me of course), even though I vehemently have no opinion whatsoever about the book. But I really did find your review thoughtful--and entertaining, did I forget to mention entertaining last time?--if a trifle colloquial, shall we say.

BTW my intention is not so much to edit as kibitz, which is a somewhat different function, more annoying and less useful for you, but much more fun for me.

Ahwoogah!

message 9: by Zalman (new)

Zalman BTW now the cat's fully out of the frickin bag that I'm the on-site dad, I wanted to ask, are you getting enough sleep, LL? Enough protein? How's it going with that tubercular/leprous lowlife Slash...?

LooseLips slash loves me daddy and that is all that really matters, right? he promised that if i cought the leprosy that he would help me peel my fingers and toes at night.

(the cat was out of the bag previously pop. i tried to keep your secret identity a secret but you have so much wisdom, it just seeps through to everyone and everything, like a wonderful, wise... pustule).

vive le dansk!

Johanna awesome. yes, i am spectacularly fair-minded. by the way, hi steve! so are you in foreign climes right now or what?

message 12: by Zalman (new)

Zalman Pustule! All right, guess I know when I'm being damned by faint praise....

Yes, indeed, committing crimes in foreign climes, e.g., jaywalking less than umpteen meters from a corner with a traffic light. Just another immigrant trying to dodge the bicycles and mold his untutored yap around their unspeakable language.

But all things considered, probably no more foreign than, say, LA?

Johanna Yes, LA I believe may be foreign to everywhere. Although we have that jaywalking crap too. And a lot of stuff that's unspeakable.
If The Great Gatsby were written today, I'm pretty sure it would be set in LA.

LooseLips i bet you are right.

message 15: by Zalman (last edited Mar 02, 2008 08:58AM) (new)

Zalman Or Miami. In both cases with Hispanic characters.

Or is that already a cliché? How about there are more than 500,000 Iranians in the LA area (with a substantial Persian-Jewish subpopulation), AKA "Little Tehran", "Tehrangeles", or "Irangeles". Is there a Persian-American "Gatsby" waiting to be written? Or is it already out there, we just haven't noticed it yet....

message 16: by Zalman (last edited Mar 02, 2008 09:05AM) (new)

Zalman Oh, I forgot to mention that earlier this afternoon I just happened to read a sports column (written last November) comparing Kobe Bryant to Gatsby(!!):

The column was roundly booed in the subsequent comment thread....

LooseLips kobe as gatsby may be a booable offense, but i'd still give that book a try.

as long as they worked in vladimir radmonovic in as a west egg side character.

message 18: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz "In summation, be sure to keep an eye out for this writer. Once he writes something more appealing to the masses he's sure to bust out onto the scene soon. You heard it here first."

He's dead.

♥ Rachel♥ sHE beLIEveD Liz wrote: ""In summation, be sure to keep an eye out for this writer. Once he writes something more appealing to the masses he's sure to bust out onto the scene soon. You heard it here first."

He's dead."

That's what I came on here to say. And also, West/East Egg exist under different names. They are not fictional.
West Egg = Sand's Point
East Egg = Great Neck

And I disagree with you about your opinion of the book, but I don't feel like getting into it. All I'll say is that you should re-read it. I mostly like it for its themes anyway....

message 20: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Thankyou, Rachel :)

♥ Rachel♥ sHE beLIEveD You're welcome ^_^

message 22: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz I didn't realise that West and East Egg were real places under different names, though. I knew they had a resemblance to the place where FSF lived for a while--it was on one side of a bay where the new rich lived and the old money millionaires lived on the other side of the bay.

Or was that what you were talking about?

♥ Rachel♥ sHE beLIEveD FSF did live in East Egg. It's a real place.

message 24: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Oh, right. Did you review this book?

♥ Rachel♥ sHE beLIEveD No, I'm not good at reviewing books :P

♥ Rachel♥ sHE beLIEveD "The eh Gatsby"

I just noticed this...and it made this whole review better. :P

message 27: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Lol.

LooseLips i know this comment thread is three years old but i never noticed the wackadoodles that came on here and mentioned to me that FSF is dead...and West Egg is a real place.

are you freaking kidding me? first of all, that bottom note was called sarcasm. obviously he's dead. obviously. jeesus.

and secondly, West Egg is not a real place. They are names for real places that were made up. HENCE, they are fun to say, but not the actual name of the town. The place may exist, but the name does not. I'm from Seattle and it exists, but if I call it North Waffle I just made up a new name for it. See what I did there??

Good god. There is no place in any of our lives (or comment threads) for people who correct people BADLY.

But I am glad you liked the title.

And I'm sorry for not getting to this tirade sooner.

Sallyremy Hi looselips, I am now reading the second chapter of this book and I have a question. At the end of chapter two, it says"........I stood besides his bed, he is sitting up on the sheets, and clad in his underwear......"(hope I remember right), does it mean the writer (I mean the brother) have sex with Mr Mckee?(What the hell? It doesn't mention any gay things above.) Here "He" refers to Mr Mckee, right? I think that I might understand it in the wrong way. Can you tell me the meaning of this sentence? Really thank you.

♥ Rachel♥ sHE beLIEveD For Fitzgerald's death, I don't know if I understood the humor when I posted my first comment, I was 13 when I wrote that. I agree now that the sarcasm is obvious. Heh.

But if you call Seattle 'North Waffle', it's still the same place, just under a different name.

message 31: by Shanah (new)

Shanah Davis This review/thread is lol-funny. I love your sarcasm and Dad's witty replies. And the awkward random gay comment with the grande finale "I was only 13..."
Entertainment, people!
Thank you. That is all.

James Maughan For me, your review was spot on. I don't really get how this is considered a classic.

message 33: by Bob (new)

Bob Peterson Intriguing! I may read this but am unsure after having read this thread.

Alexander Spencer Not sure if you "got" it.

Alexia Although I don't quite agree with your opinion I applaud you on your EXCELLENT way of wording it! Also, thanks for supporting your points so that others can actually see why you didn't like it. I hate it when people just say "1 star because Fitzgerald sucks eggs."

message 36: by Bexi (new) - rated it 1 star

Bexi I'm on page 128 and I thought I was the only one on the planet that didn't like this book. Your review is SPOT ON! Cheers!

Alicia Williams You took the words right out of my mouth. I thought I was the only one who did not like this book. Thank you

Emelie I agree with your review, it's just that the author shot himself in the head a long time ago. :-P The Great Gatsby was the only successful novel, according to the introduction of my copy. Though I wouldn't call it successful, reading it makes me sleepy.

message 39: by Udit (new)

Udit Srivastava How true...I don't understand why people go ga-ga about this boook and producers who decided to make a movie out of it...
I think your fear of criticism made you give an extra star and a half for this somniferous piece of literature...RIP Fitzgerald.. :)

message 40: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Well I have to disagree. This is, by far, one of the best books I have ever read and the best movie I've ever seen as well. I believe what you mistook for boring writing is actually a great attention to detail than most other classical writers would covet after. Fitzgerald, at least for me, goes down as one of history's most prolific writers. He has accomplished the quite overused term--though incorrectly applied most of the time-- of painting a picture with words and I see him as being marked down in fame's immortal scroll of fantastic writers.

Shupty Nahar I completely agree,.. Every character in this book seemed flashy n stupid,.. Bt FSF is a brilliant writer,.. He can make any crap stories seem like a dream and very very beautiful writing... Bt I thought I shud mention,, he died a long time back... Before his book was even a hit..

message 42: by Brittany (new)

Brittany I totally agree with the fact that Fitzgerald has a special way with words, I also agree that at some points I found it hard to stay interested in the book without becoming distracted.