Heather's Reviews > Dracula in Love

Dracula in Love by Karen Essex

Aug 27, 10

bookshelves: arc, historical-fiction, romance, victorian, england, 19th-c
Read from July 26 to August 06, 2010

The story is told in the form of a diary with our narrator being Mina Murray (later Harker). At times, the fourth wall is broken and the narrator speaks directly to the audience (this is a feature that I enjoy in many books. You feel like you are part of the story). I think that while the plot is superb, the characters are the essence of this novel.

This is definitely a 100% character driven story. I found it to be more of a story of Mina finding out who she really was. Early on, she seemed to be living the life that was expected of her by society and those around her. As the story progressed, and definitely by the ending, she figured out how to define herself without the constraints of society and seemed to be much happier for all of her experiences and really find her place in the world. I was absolutely surprised by the characterization of Dracula. Having never read the original novel or seen any movies, I didn’t really have a sense of who Dracula was. I expected him to be really creepy, scary. I also expected there to be much more blood and gore, as well as the expected huge “kill him” scene. But that was not the Dracula that Essex creates. Her Dracula was passionate, forever in love with Mina, and actually a pretty decent guy (except his anger).

I have to warn you, this wouldn’t be a complete review if I didn’t, there is quite a lot of sex in this novel – but it is very well done. I feel that it was appropriate to tell her story – repressed Victorian ideals on the surface, sexuality underneath.

I really loved the ending of the book – it is funny, ironic, and appropriate. It brings the novel full circle and absolutely addresses Bram Stoker’s novel. I think you will love it.

This book was received for review from the publisher - I was not compensated for my opinions and the above is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula in Love.

07/27/2010 page 29
08/01/2010 page 160
40.0% "Now I'm getting into the good stuff."
show 6 hidden updates…