Leane's Reviews > The Poyson Garden

The Poyson Garden by Karen Harper

Nov 08, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, adult-fiction, mystery

I love this series so much! Not many people know this, but I am a huge fan of Queen Elizabeth I, and I read everything I can about her. This is a fantastic mystery series by Karen Harper, a former Brit. Lit. teacher. The stories feature Queen Elizabeth and a group of friends who form what is called a Privy Council. Together, they help Elizabeth solve various mysteries, from poyson plots (hence the title) to murders. I love the way Harper depictes Elizabeth: spunky, intelligent, and sassy to say the least. This is the first book in the series, and is actually set during the reign of Elizabeth's half-sister Mary. Elizabeth is in exile in the country, but is the target of a murderer who uses poison to kill. Elizabeth creates her Privy Council, which includes Ned Topside, a country player (actor); Meg Milligrew, a herbalist who doesn't remember her past; Cecil, her lawyer; Kat Ashley, her childhood governess; and Jenks, her bodyguard. These books are rich in historic detail, have interesting characters, and are fast paced until the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poyson Garden.