Amy's Reviews > Villette

Villette by Charlotte Brontë

Mar 04, 12

Read from January 30 to March 02, 2012, read count: 2

The story of a lonely and orphaned young woman travelling afar to find her place in the world was at once appealing. Lucy Snowe, having no relation left, decides to leave her home and try and find a place for herself in a small town known as Labassecour. She ends up working in a small school and finds her calling as a teacher. Along the way, she reunites with several much beloved people from England and falls in love. Struggling between her identity as a woman and as a person, her wants and needs and what she deserves vs. what she has earned, she eventually finds a place where she can exist comfortably.

Does Lucy want a life of ease by never taking a risk or is the risk what life is all about? Can she be happy with who she is and her lot in life, versus the rich, entitled young and beautiful girls in the school? Can she be OK within herself if this is all there is for her?

This was my 2nd time reading Vilette and I still enjoyed it the same as the first time. I wanted to re-read it because the Bronte's are my some of my favorite authors and this book has quite a bit of French in it and the original edition I read did not have footnotes.

After reading about how this book was considered one of her most autobiographical, it made it that much more interesting. Although, it also made me a bit sad that she was so lonely amidst so much literary success and admiration. Of course, that lonliness may have been the driving force behind her exceptional novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Villette.