Tatiana's Reviews > Some Girls Bite

Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill

Jul 25, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: abandoned, urban-fantasy
Recommended for: hardcore UF fans who can't get enough of it
Read from August 30 to September 01, 2010

After plowing through 50 pages of it, I don't see anything remotely interesting about this book. It simply seems like every other write-by-numbers UF novel. I feel like I've read it a million times before. It is written a little better than Halfway to the Grave, but there is not even sex (yet) and spunky dialog in a sea of uninspired prose and world-building to keep me engaged.

Truly, there is no point to read any UF series written in last 2-3 years, they draw too heavily on existing works of better UF writers and are produced only to get a piece of already over-saturated popular UF/PNR market. Too bad...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls Bite.

08/30/2010 page 15
04/07/2016 marked as: abandoned

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Dixon Stupid question... What's UF/PRN stand for?

message 2: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Dixon Ok figured out prn haha

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Dixon Ha ha got the other lol should of thought before I typed

Kat Kennedy *Steps back clutching chest*

No! No! Only 1 star! *Dissolves into tears*

We seriously need to find you something good to read! Something with sex...

message 5: by Tatiana (last edited Sep 01, 2010 05:34PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tatiana Don't feel bad, Kat. I find myself being very picky lately. Probably just exhausted by mediocre books.

And yeah, some smut would be great, preferably with a good story, if such a thing at all possible. I might have to flip through first 50 pages of Dreamfever.

Kat Kennedy Oh I don't feel bad! I'm just thinking of what to make you read next.

I'm picky up to a certain extent. I actually quite adore UF/PRN if the female protagonist gets to fight and kick arse and has a sexy guy around that she'll eventually bone. But if they're a useless, prissy little piece fluff like Bella or Ever or Luce etc then I get very, very picky.

*Drools* Dreamfever. Not long until the last book is out! It had better cure cancer or some shit like that! I have high expectations!

Tatiana I do like UF, but it's always tricky for me to find a series that has just the right combo of writing/heroine/mythology/sexy hunk.

The last book better deliver. Out whole Fever experience depends on it.

Kat Kennedy Yes, it NEEDS to deliver and Barrons needs to get nekkid dancing time with Mac at least once... twice or anywhere up to five times would be better...

Yes, you're a picky, picky person Tatiana! But that's why we adore you. I'm reading Moon Called but I'm at least %65 into and there's not even smoochies yet so I won't bother recommending that one to you!

Tatiana Yeah, some (a lot) sexy time with Barrons would be great, especially with Mac conscious this time.

Moon Called already got 1 star from me for that reason among other things. There is no sex until book 4 I hear.

message 10: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Is that an UF formula? No sex until book 4? I keep seeing that trend. Too bad for Some Girls Bite, I can understand why you didn't like it.

How about Soulless? No sex, but lots of tea and parasols.

Have you read Karen Moning's Highlander series? A little bit of background before the new Fever book comes out.

Yah, my book recs are very tame. Sorry!

Kat Kennedy Tatiana has already read Soulless.

Tatiana I read plenty of books smut-free, but that's the sort of thing I expect from UF:)

Tatiana No, Kat, haven't tried Soulless yet. Soon.

Kat Kennedy Really? I thought you'd read it already! Oops, my mistake!

Tatiana I tried to make you read it first, if you remember:)

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos No sex in Soulless?!? Say it isn't so! I'm reading it this month! *Lethal sobs*

Sorry you didn't like SGB, Tatiana. Hopefully, my experience will be better when I get the cajones to spend money on it. Damn trade paperbacks!

message 17: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH It must be available at a used book store or fall book fair by now. Why pay retail if you don't have to.

new_user I think your experience will be better, LL. :D

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos I'm hoping so, NU.

AH, it's true that SGB might be at a UBS by now, but I really don't have the patience to go looking. I want to read the book but mostly because of friend recs & not because of any real desire on my part. I'm hoping they'll release it in mmpb.

Kat Kennedy Do you have an ereader, LL?

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos No ma'am, I don't. I can barely afford print books so an ereader is completely out of the question until I finish college and/or am financially stable enough to spend that much cash at one time.

message 22: by AH (last edited Sep 02, 2010 08:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Do you have Adobe digital editions (free software) loaded on your PC? Works like an ereader, but free if you dont mind reading off a PC.

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos Yes, AH! Catherine suggested I try Netgalley & I downloaded ADE when I became a member there. I didn't know you could dl more than the books from that website on there, though.

message 24: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH With ADE you can download epub formats. Not sure about others, but you can convert PDFs to epub using Calibre. I find reading epubs a lot easier than PDFs so I convert when possible. Now, once you have ADE, you can download whatever freebie books there are out in the internet world. Kobo, Sony, Kindle also have different books for free, but you need to download their reader - Kobo's reader is ADE, so that's easy.

new_user B&N too. Suvudu used to have more titles for free. Not so much anymore.

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos Um...okay. *Lethal's eyes glaze over in confusion* Thanks for the help!

new_user Basically, you can dl BN and Amazon's software suites if you'd like their free books. I hear Amazon offers a lot of freebies.

Wicked Incognito Now Wait wait wait---there's sex in Soulless!! It's tame, I'll admit, but no tamer than most UF series.

Tatiana, I'm so glad I'm not alone in my lack of love for the Chicagoland Vamps.

new_user You didn't try the second book, April. Some people liked the series much better with the second book.

The sex in Soulless was one perfunctory scene, so I'd consider that tamer than usual, at least not very hot, LOL. It was hardly sexy, imo.

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos new_user wrote: "Basically, you can dl BN and Amazon's software suites if you'd like their free books. I hear Amazon offers a lot of freebies."

Thanks for putting it in simple terms for the slow people, ie: me.

new_user LOL, np. ;P

message 32: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Have you read Ilona Andrews -Kate Daniels series???? or Nalini Singh's - Archangel series???

I am a very fussy reader and I absolutely adore both series, I find them delightfully original.

Megan doveton there is a thosand versions of this book with diffrent titles and diffrent authors so i cant realy call it original and though it had a slow start it was a great book and you shouldnt of given up on it so easily,it just takes a while to understand.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Couldn't agree more.Iwas so bored reading this one that I stopped reading it.

message 35: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Agree withe book review but disagree with the UF comment. Karen Chance, Patricia Briggs and Ilona Andrews are doing a great job at the minute.

message 36: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah (A French Girl) I've been trying to finish this book since MARCH. Everytime I try to read it, I give up after 3-4 pages. I found it awful.