Peep (Pop! Pop!)'s Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

When I was finished this book I could only think of three things: Uwe Boll, Asylum Films, and the Sy-fy Channel. Yes, to me, it was that bad. It has everything that they like: Cold leader who excels at everything, even when she doesn't try. Violence and gore at every turn. Oppressive society. Tattoos. Injuries that come and go as they please. Etc, etc, etc.

Hmmm, where to start?? To start? To start? Haha, ring a bell? It does. It does. It does. I am brave! I am Dauntless!

Ok, I'll get serious now. Simply put, I did not like this book. I tried to like it. I wanted to give up but kept on reading and really I don't think it was worth it. I see from the ratings that a lot of people liked it but I didn't. The beginning of the book starts off like Matched. It is slow, we are presented with a brother and sister the day before some type of choosing ceremony.

I did not get the whole Dauntless thing. What was the point of them? Seems like the only thing they did were stunts and have fun. There were no wars, so why all the fighting? We meet some people guarding a fence (that I am still clueless about), but apparently said guard duty is a job that is kind of like punishment. So what did they do?

There was so much senseless violence! And I am not usually one to complain about it but golly (ha, I said golly), at least in the other book it is very necessary for survival. In this one it is just there because I don't know why.

The Faction world is kind of clear. We don't know a lot of details of the world outside of Chicago. What happened to everything? I still don't have a clear mental picture of that dang Dauntless compound! And like Tris, I too wondered where that train was coming from and going to!

I didn't like Tris in the beginning. I wanted to. I tried to. But she really sounded like a robot! I felt like I was listening to the thoughts of a robot. All she did was tell me her observations in sentence structured like no real human would talk like. I did like the part where she was complimented. And the part where she wasn't sure if she should be jealous or not. I thought her reactions were sweet and it made me grin. She grew on me as the book went on but I did not see us as friends.

Tris was good at everything she did. It got to the point that her being the best just wasn't even surprising. I mean, I didn't even need details anymore since she always came out on top.

The romance between her and that boy with the horrible real name (for the book) was unbelievable and forced. It made me feel awkward. Like I'd overstayed my welcome. Like I was too nice to say goodbye and they'd forgotten I was there. That awkward. Personally, I think the relationship needs to be nixed as slapping and cutting each other is not healthy. And not cool, not cool at all!

There is some good though. There isn't really a boring moment in the book. The action is nonstop. Anywho, you should still read it because everyone else liked it and we can compare notes when you're done!

A few observations:
1. Tattoos heal really fast and don't bother you (unless it's convenient).

2. Repeating things three times is better than saying it once. That way we can get it.

3. (view spoiler)

9. Knife throwing can be mastered in 3 easy steps (I watched Top Shot, it is not that easy!!)

10. Attempted murder is no biggie! It does kind of suck though.

11. Oh, and murder statistics are counted (0 in the last 16 years) and attempted murders aren't (it's kind of an everyday thing).

12. The mean kids really need to work on the insults! (“There goes your pretty face... Oh, wait. You don't have one!” - I assure you they are not in 1st grade!)

13. They are serving the best muscle gain food you can buy. You can grow out of your pants in about a week.

14. There are 5 leaders, but only one calls the shots. The others aren't important or they don't care what is going on with their initiates (aka the future of their faction).

15. I am brave!

16. Divergent means that you're really just better than everyone else! Don't be jealous of the truth!

17. The fear landscape – argh!

18. The “finale” - argh!

“He” would probably throw a party if I stopped breathing.”
“Well,” he says, “I would only go if there was cake”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Heidi (the original) Let me know if you read this one.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Hopefully I'll have it this week. I'll let you know how it goes. And I'm about to request about 10 more books through ILL. Best idea ever. Though I wish it was international ILL. Ours is statewide but some libraries have worldwide ILL.

In case you were wondering, yes my name is in reply to yours :P

Heidi (the original) Ha! I actually noticed your name right away. Nice! p.s. I wish my library system had ILL for the whole state. Our libraries are just certain districts. I also wish my library allowed ILL for audiobooks because a lot of audiobooks I want are at other libraries in the district, but my library has a policy that you can only get actual books through ILL. Boo! Several other libraries in my district allow ILL for audiobooks and DVD's. :(

Peep (Pop! Pop!) It's up to the individual library if they want to send audiobooks. Most don't want to, even if they have them listed in the ILL catalog. For ILL, the library tries the local libraries, then the "district", and then statewide. So, if the book isn't in the area, it could take a while for a request to come back.

Heidi (the original) Mine doesn't even show up on a search unless one of my district libraries have it. Oh well. Still love my library!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I am not liking it as much as I want to. It is good but very average for the genre. Things happening, it seems, for the sake of shock value because I can't come up with any other reason. (I'm going to copy and paste that into my review haha)

Heidi (the original) That is what I was afraid of.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I'm only halfway through though, so it might change. It's just average and her robot thoughts are just... I don't know! I'll let you know. It's not one you should skip though, so far!

message 11: by Heidi (the original) (last edited May 24, 2011 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Heidi (the original) Ok. I'll wait Popcorn.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Haha, it's from Community. You know, Magnitude?

Heidi (the original) I haven't watched Community this year since I cut back the cable. :( They stream all the other NBC shows on Hulu Plus, but not that one for some reason.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) It isn't on regular tv? It should be on Hulu. You should watch it, this season was really good, esp the two part season finally. I don't watch much reg tv, but hubby enjoys that show and insists we watch it. That and Pysch and another show that I can't think of the name right now.

Heidi (the original) I never watch regular tv anymore Peep (except for football). It is on Hulu, but not Hulu Plus and I limited the amount of shows I watch on the computer now. If Hulu Plus adds it I will check it out for sure. I watched most of it last year. I am really a huge fan of Parks & Rec myself (and my hubby is too).

Wendy Darling I am looking at your 2 stars and someone else's 5 stars one right above the other in my feed...! I don't know what to think.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Go in at about 4 stars! I am certainly NOT the with the majority on this one. I was too picky. Haha.

Wendy Darling I dunno, your points sound pretty valid. If I ever get around to it, I'm coming back here to check out this review again!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) You should move it up on your list. I want to know what you think. I did want to like it, though.

message 20: by Wendy Darling (last edited May 28, 2011 05:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Darling Dude. You said "Ewe Boll, Asylum Films, and the Sy-fy Channel." That does not make me want to run out and grab it!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) But they're so good at what they do!

Wendy Darling Hah, you got me there.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist love this review! I will probably rate my review more than 2, but I agree that a lot of the violence is really senseless. The Dauntless don't seem brave so much as just ruthless... really liked your review, because I haven't seen any others that aren't 4-5 stars. Loved this!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Thanks Amelia!I initially had it one star but decided against that. 2 is still ok :)

message 25: by Eve (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve Davids I'm sorry, but this is the most brilliant review ever! Like ever! In the History of Goodreads. I wish I could thank this ten times!

message 26: by Eve (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve Davids This was the most difficult three stars I've ever given a book. Ever.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Thanks, tell your friends! Haha. We are not the majority in this one!

message 28: by Ivan (last edited Jun 17, 2011 08:30AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ivan Torres Opps, I said that out loud again! Who am I to break apart anyone elses efforts? Apologies! Best wishes to Miss Veronica Roth with Divergent!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Where are the threads about this? So far I've only come across people that love it. I want to read about plot holes!

Slowpoke I liked this book, im not so sure why you didnt like it.. i get where you're going when you say that stuff about how she didnt care how SOMETHING happened at the end :P not saying what, also the thing about the friend. But all in all if you read past a bit of the starting and get to more of the interesting part in the middle its good! not so sure it had the best ending though

Peep (Pop! Pop!) See, I kinda really like bad sci-fi films. Those awful ones that make you cringe. I think that was a big part of my reaction to the book. I saw is as a movie, a bad one. I couldn't get it out of my head. I think if the ending was better, it would have helped but since it wasn't... I wouldn't not recommend it, does that help? :P

I might still read the sequel though!

Slowpoke hahaha no i think your review was awesome its just i think you were wrong about a few things, see for me i didnt have high expectations, this made the book seem much better then what i though'd it be, and like you said you HAD high expectations so thats another thing. but ya i also read matched and you're right about the beginning! this book also has been related to the hunger games, which is my all time favorite. i think the hunger games was better.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Hahaha, yeah I wonder if I hadn't seen all the glowing reviews, if I would have liked it as much. It's hard to tell, but you're right it was my high expectations that I set that did me in!

I liked the Hunger Games better as well. As for being wrong about some things, that's probably true. It wouldn't be the first time lol!

Heidi (the original) OH. MY. GOD. Now that I am done and read you review I think we have some secret mind link! There were too many questions and not enough answers. I see no need for her to kill anyone and the whole "world" was just not explained very well. It is never a good thing when I am reading a book and start questioning things. I tend not to stop questioning.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Who told you about the secret mind link?! Wasn't that kill just dumb? Dumb, dumb, dumb and didn't make sense.

message 36: by Heidi (the original) (last edited Jul 06, 2011 07:46AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Heidi (the original) Peep (Pop! Pop!) wrote: "Who told you about the secret mind link?! Wasn't that kill just dumb? Dumb, dumb, dumb and didn't make sense."

Hahaha. Shhhhhh I won't tell anyone (I am sure we are the only two reading this). SO many things didn't make sense. I loved the serious lack of adults in the book (view spoiler)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Seems like the only reason (serious spoiler so read with caution)(view spoiler)

Slowpoke Hahaha you guys are still going on about this? :P

Heidi (the original) Well in fairness to me, I just read it!

Shannon That about sums up the whole book.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Peep (Pop! Pop!) wrote: "Seems like the only reason (serious spoiler so read with caution)[spoilers removed]"

The only reason I could think of for (view spoiler)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Yeah, I agree that it (view spoiler). I could totally understand why you'd love it, I wish I could look past all my beef, haha.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Totally get how you feel. Most of the time, I can't look past my beefs with (view spoiler)

I guess this one just seemed - to me - better than the other stuff I've read lately.

But I think this is a very commercial novel. Girls are supposed be strong badasses who are macho and beat ppl up and stuff, so this just worked. For me, though (view spoiler)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Your last paragraph, I hate when that happens, (view spoiler)

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist EXACTLY. At least Katniss knew how to use a bow and arrow before being dumped into the Hunger Games... here? no explanation.
Granted, I think I'll take Tris over Katniss any day.

Heidi (the original) Amelia, the pragmatic idealist wrote: "EXACTLY. At least Katniss knew how to use a bow and arrow before being dumped into the Hunger Games... here? no explanation.
Granted, I think I'll take Tris over Katniss any day."

There is no contest there. Katniss rocks!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist haha, you can have Katniss and I'll take Tris.
She seems to have more of a conscience :P
Just my opinion, though

Slowpoke KATNISS ALL THE WAY :O :O :O :D

message 50: by Heidi (the original) (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Heidi (the original) Amelia, the pragmatic idealist wrote: "haha, you can have Katniss and I'll take Tris.
She seems to have more of a conscience :P