Tanya Tanya Tanya!'s Reviews > Unaccustomed Earth

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri

Jan 04, 08

Read in December, 2007

I feel completely gutted and need to go back and read this again.

Lahiri always leaves me feeling too emotional for my own good and I love it. She takes you to this place of discomfort and displacement within relationships with other people and relationships with culture.

The short stories in the first half of the book leave me wanting more of the characters lives. I simultaneously devoured them and didn't want them to end. They were as good, if not better than her previous published short stories. But the second half of the book blew me away.

The political events that surround this series of short stories are so fresh in my mind that they are still raw, and she tapped into that. These stories and this plot are well crafted - taking the reader through different times in the characters lives, the snippets tying together into the larger plot, the snapshots of the lives tying in with the images.

I know that there is so much more to this that I didn't pick up in my first devouring of this, but I think I need to give it time before I go back to it. It's still too raw.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unaccustomed Earth.