Campbell's Reviews > City of Glass

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Glass.

Quotes Campbell Liked

“Clary,

Despite everything, I can't bear the thought of this ring being lost forever, any more then I can bear the thought of leaving you forever. And though I have no choice about the one, at least I can choose about the other. I'm leaving you our family ring because you have as much right to it as I do.
I'm writing this watching the sun come up. You're asleep, dreams moving behind your restless eyelids. I wish I knew what you were thinking. I wish I could slip into your head and see the world the way you do. I wish I could see myself the way you do. But maybe I dont want to see that. Maybe it would make me feel even more than I already do that I'm perpetuating some kind of Great Lie on you, and I couldn't stand that.
I belong to you. You could do anything you wanted with me and I would let you. You could ask anything of me and I'd break myself trying to make you happy. My heart tells me this is the best and greatest feeling I have ever had. But my mind knows the difference between wanting what you can't have and wanting what you shouldn't want. And I shouldn't want you.
All night I've watched you sleeping, watched the moonlight come and go, casting its shadows across your face in black and white. I've never seen anything more beautiful. I think of the life we could have had if things were different, a life where this night is not a singular event, separate from everything else that's real, but every night. But things aren't different, and I can't look at you without feeling like I've tricked you into loving me.
The truth no one is willing to say out loud is that no one has a shot against Valentine but me. I can get close to him like no one else can. I can pretend I want to join him and he'll believe me, up until that last moment where I end it all, one way or another. I have something of Sebastian's; I can track him to where my father's hiding, and that's what I'm going to do. So I lied to you last night. I said I just wanted one night with you. But I want every night with you. And that's why I have to slip out of your window now, like a coward. Because if I had to tell you this to your face, I couldn't make myself go.
I don't blame you if you hate me, I wish you would. As long as I can still dream, I will dream of you.

_Jace”

Cassandra Clare
“There is no pretending," Jace said with absolute clarity. "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then.”

Cassandra Clare
“Not everything is about you," Clary said furiously.
"Possibly," Jace said, "but you do have to admit that the majority of things are.”

Cassandra Clare
“And I'm suppose to sit by while you date boys and fall in love with someone else, get married...?" His voice tightened. "And meanwhile, I'll die a little bit more every day, watching.”

Cassandra Clare
“Is this the part where you say if I hurt her, you'll kill me?"
"No" Simon said, "If you hurt Clary she's quite capable of killing you herself. Possibly with a variety of weapons.”

Cassandra Clare
“You said you were going for a walk!? What kind of walk takes six hours?"
"A long one?”

Cassandra Clare
“You could have had anything else in the world, and you asked for me."
She smiled up at him. Filthy as he was, covered in blood and dirt, he was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen.
"But I don't want anything else in the world.”

Cassandra Clare
“People aren't born good or bad. Maybe they're born with tendencies either way, but its the way you live your life that matters.”

Cassandra Clare
“Patience, grasshopper," said Maia. "Good things come to those who wait."
"I always thought that was 'Good things come to those who do the wave,'" said Simon. "No wonder I've been so confused all my life.”

Cassandra Clare
“Did you ever think that in a past life Alec was an old woman with ninety cats who was always yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off her lawn? Because I do,”

Cassandra Clare
“Jace shook his blond head in exasperation.
"You had to make a crazy jail friend, didn't you? You couldn't just count ceiling tiles or tame a pet mouse like normal prisoners do?”

Cassandra Clare
“I know it's wrong - God, it's all kinds of wrong - but I just want to lie down with you and wake up with you, just once, just once ever in my life.”

Cassandra Clare
“Have you tried talking to her?"
"No. We've been punching her in the face repeatedly. What? You don't think that will work?”

Cassandra Clare
“In the end that was the choice you made, and it doesn't matter how hard it was to make it. It matters that you did.”

Cassandra Clare
“I have a fetish for damsels in distress.”
“Don’t be sexist.”
“Not at all. My services are also available to gentlemen in distress. It’s an equal opportunity fetish.”

Cassandra Clare
“If you're texting Magnus to say 'I think u r kewl,' I'm going to kill you."
"Who's Magnus?" Max inquired.
"He's a warlock," said Alec.
"A sexy, sexy warlock," Isabelle told Max, ignoring Alec's look of total fury.
"But warlocks are bad," protested Max, looking baffled.
"Exactly," said Isabelle.”

Cassandra Clare
“Since I've met you, everything I've done has been in part because of you. I can't untie myself from you, Clary- not my heart or my blood or my mind or any other part of me. And I don't want to."
~Jace Wayland”

Cassandra Clare
“If you ever meet the man who could take advantage of Isabelle, you’ll have to let me know. I’d like to shake his hand. Or run away from him very fast, I’m not sure which.”

Cassandra Clare
“You can only push the truth down for so long, and then it bubbles back up.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sebastian just smiled. “I could hear your heart beating,” he said softly. “When you were watching me with Valentine. Did it bother you?”
“That you seem to be dating my dad?” Jace shrugged. "You’re a little young for him, to be honest.”
“What?” For the first time since Jace had met him, Sebastian seemed flabbergasted.”

Cassandra Clare
“Now very much against her will, she thought of the way Jace had looked at her then, the blaze of faith in his eyes, his belief in her. He had always thought she was strong. He had showed it in everything he did, in every look and every touch. Simon had faith in her too, yet when he'd held her, it had been as if she were something fragile, something made of delicate glass. But Jace had held her with all the strength he had, never wondering if she could take it--he'd known she was as strong has he was.”

Cassandra Clare
“You're not going," he said as soon as she'd finished. "If I have to tie you up and sit on you until this insane whim of yours passes, you are not going to Idris." - Jace”

Cassandra Clare
“Look, you can date whoever you want and I will totally support you. I am all about support. Support is my middle name.”
“So that’s why you never told me your middle name. I figured it was something embarrassing.”

Cassandra Clare
“I wouldn't change it," Simon said. "I wouldn't give up loving you. Not for anything. You know what Raphael told me? That I didn't know how to be a good vampire, that vampires accept that they're dead. But as long as I remember what it was like to love you, I'll always feel like I'm alive.”

Cassandra Clare
“The way he looked at you. I got it then. He loved you, and it was killing him. He won't get over you, Clary, he can't.”

Cassandra Clare
“Look, did you ask me to come all the way uptown just so you could stare at me like I was something in a petri dish? Next time I'll send you a photo."
"And I'll frame it and put it on my nightstand," said Jace.”

Cassandra Clare
“Waiting for a special occasion to kill me? Christmas is coming.”

Cassandra Clare
“Enough, both of you,' Clary said. 'You can't be complete jerks to each other forever, you know.'

Technically,' said Simon, 'I can.'

Jace made an inelegant noise; after a moment Clary realized that he was trying not to laugh, and only semi-succeeding.”

Cassandra Clare
“So it's true. You can walk in sunlight. I thought perhaps it might have worn off."
"If I feel the urge to burst into flames, I'll let you know.”

Cassandra Clare
“Maybe that was why she couldn't cry, she realized, staring dry-eyed at the ceiling. Because what was the point in crying when there was no one there to comfort you? And what was worse, when you couldn't even comfort yourself?”

Cassandra Clare
“There was an electric anger in his gaze, and a sort of challenge that made Simon long to hit him with something heavy. Like a pickup truck.”

Cassandra Clare
“Magnus gazed dreamily in his direction. "You should leave him here. I could hang hats on him and things.”

Cassandra Clare
“Looking at him now-even if she hadn't been in love with him, that part of her that was her mother's daugher, that loved every beautiful thing for its beauty alone, would still have wanted him.”

Cassandra Clare
“Clarissa," he said, "here with the vampire, I see. When things have settled a bit, we really must discuss you choice in pets..”

Cassandra Clare
“All that existed was Jace; all she felt, hoped, breathed, wanted, and saw was Jace. Nothing else mattered.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jace likes to pretend that everyone isn’t talking about him, even when he knows they are.”

Cassandra Clare
“If it's the lack of forbidden you're worried about. You could still forbid me to do things."
"What kind of things?"
She felt him smile against her mouth. "Things like this.”

Cassandra Clare
“She looked out then, through the crowd, and saw Simon with the Lightwoods, looking at her across the empty space that separated them. It was the same way that Jace had looked at her at the manor. It was the one thread that bound these two boys that she loved so much, she thought, their one commonality: They both believed in her even when she didn't believe in herself. ”

Cassandra Clare
“He landed on his back amid a tangled pile of clothes. "Isabelle," Simon protested weakly, "do you really think this is going to make you feel any better?"
"Trust me," Isabelle said, placing a hand on his chest, just over his unbeating heart. "I feel better already.”

Cassandra Clare
“I don't have a reason to lie to you. Not now." Jace's gaze remained steady. "And quit baring your fangs at me. It's making me nervous."
"Good," Simon said. "If you want to know why it's because you smell like blood."
It's my cologne. Eau de Recent Injury." Jace raised his left hand. It was a glove of white bandages, stained across the knucles where blood had seeped through.”

Cassandra Clare
“Clary - "Look you can date whoever you want and I will totally support you. I am all about support. Support is my middle name."

Simon- "So that's why you never told me your middle name. I figured it was something embarrasing.”

Cassandra Clare
“I always thought love made you stupid. Made you weak. A bad Shadowhunter. 'To love is to destroy.'I believed that[...]I used to think being a good warrior meant not caring,[...] And then I met you. You were a mundane. Weak. Not a fighter. Never trained[...] Love didn't make you weak, it made you stronger than anyone I'd ever met. And I realized I was the one who was weak.”

Cassandra Clare
“She had no recollection, later, of having decided what to do next, or of having hunted for something to wear, but somehow she was hurrying down the stairs, dressed in shadowhunter gear, the letter in one hand and the chain with the ring clasped hastily around her throat.”

Cassandra Clare
“Ah, the 'I told you so'", Jace said. "Always a classy move.”

Cassandra Clare
“Alec's trying to get Magnus to take him seriously, but he's never told our parents about Magnus, or even that he likes, you know -" "Warlocks ?" Simon said.”
tags: humor

Cassandra Clare
“And now I’m looking at you,” he said, “and you’re asking me if I still want you, as if I could stop loving you. As if I would want to give up the thing that makes me stronger that anyone else ever has. I never dared to give much of myself to anyone before , but Clary, since the first time I saw you, I have belonged to you completely. I still do. If you want me.” For a split second longer she stood motionless. Then, somehow, she had caught the front of his shirt and pulled him toward her. His arms went around her, lifting her almost out of her sandals, and then he was kissing her –or she was kissing him, she wasn’t sure, and it didn’t matter. The feel of his mouth on hers was electric; her hands gripped his arms, pulling him hard against her. The feel of his heart pounding through his shirt made her dizzy with joy,. No one else’s heart beat like Jace’s did, or ever could. He let her go at last and she gasped –she’d forgotten to breath. He cupped her face between his hands, tracing the curve of her cheekbones with his fingers. The light was back in his eyes, as bright as it had been by the lake, but now there was a wicked sparkle to it. “There,” he said. “that wasn’t so bad, was it, even though it wasn’t forbidden?” “I’ve had worse,” she said with a shaky laugh. “You know,” he said bending to brush his mouth across hers, “if it’s the lack of forbidden you’re worried about, you could still forbid me to do things.” “What kind of things?” She felt him smile against her mouth. “Things like this.”

Cassandra Clare
“That’s your truck parked up by the factory isn’t it?” Magnus pointed. “It’s awfully butch for a bookseller.”

Cassandra Clare
“Why not? Do you like him?” Magnus’s eyes gleamed. “He seems to like you. I saw him going for your hand out there like a squirrel diving for a peanut.”

Cassandra Clare
“Nice, bah. He's gorgeous." Magnus gazed dreamily in his direction. "You should leave him here. I could hang hats on him and things.”

Cassandra Clare
“You're not happy to see me, then?' Jace said. 'I have to say, I'm surprised. I've always been told my presence brightened up any room. One might think that went doubly for dank underground cells.”
tags: humor