Catherine's Reviews > Naked in Death

Naked in Death by J.D. Robb

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: bad-childhood, crime-police-mystery-private-invest, futuristic, read-2010, ptsd, romance, scottish-irish-celtic, series, serial-killer, suspense, mystery, rape-abuse, read-2011, audiobook
Recommended to Catherine by: Lynsey A
Read from October 10 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

*Originally read 12/10/10 - 12/11/10*

I've known about this series for quite a while, and I'm a big Nora Roberts fan, but I hadn't really wanted to pick this series up. There's about a billion books out in the series. What if I ended up loving it? Then I have to commit myself to buying those billion books just to catch up! But after hearing such glowing things about this series from most of my Goodreads friends--especially about Roarke--I had to finally bight the bullet and get the first book.

Now that I've finished it I don't know whether to cheer or comfort my wallet. I think I'm going to have to run to the bookstore and swoop up a bunch of the next books in the series so I can get my glom on.

I didn't connect with Roarke the way that most readers seem to, but I expect it comes with time. The relationship and attraction in this book develops pretty quickly--faster than I expected or wanted--but I can't say I expected any different seeing as this isn't actually a Romance series. Most of the focus was on the case with the romance as the side story. Luckily, I know there's plenty of time in this series for the author to develop their relationship.

It's no hardship for me to watch their relationship develop over the course of the books since I know that they are together and the author didn't throw any retarded love triangles in there. So I'm willing to be patient and won't complain about the lack of a lot of depth to the relationship and characters yet.

It was odd for me to read a book so similar, yet different, from Nora Roberts's usual style. The characterization, interactions, feel to the developing relationship, and writing felt the same, but the focus wasn't on the romance. I liked it. It's nice to find a new series by this author that I can glut myself on. I was a little nervous that her style would be completely different under the pseudonym, but it wasn't where it counted.

The details about all the little futuristic gizmos weren't really explained in depth. Everything was mentioned matter-of-factly like talking to someone already familiar with the technology and world. I think some will dislike that, but I honestly preferred it. I don't mind if authors want to explain, but a detailed explanation about how the spray that seals in oils and fingerprints works is not something I personally need to know. The way it was all presented worked for me.

The case (and Eve's background) really tugged at my heartstrings. I thought it was handled well by the author, but I still feel helplessly enraged to know stuff like that happens constantly.

I really enjoyed seeing our timeframe discussed and researched for the case. It was fun to see the differences between that time and this one and it provided a nice opportunity for me to see where their culture differed without huge infodumps.

Now to go get my hands on Glory in Death...

32 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked in Death.

12/10/2010 page 37
11.56% ""At first study, she would have judged him as cold, an icy fortress of a man who guarded himself against any and all. But there must have been heat. It took more than discipline and intelligence to rise so high so young. It took ambition, and to Eve's mind, ambition was a flammable fuel." - Eve on Roarke"
12/11/2010 page 55
18.0% ""For God's sake, Dallas, open it. He probably took a shine to you. Some men find the cool, disinterested, and understated attractive. Makes them think you're deep.""
12/11/2010 page 74
24.0% """Who the hell are you, Roarke?" He smiled and topped off their glasses. "You're the cop. Figure it out." She would, she promised herself. By God she would, before it was done."" 48 comments
12/11/2010 page 99
32.0% ""Roarke wondered if he'd become perverse that he could so enjoy the way she slashed at him.""
12/11/2010 page 102
33.0% ""Still, he found the plain colors and lack of fuss illuminating. She didn't live here, as far as he could see, so much as she existed here. She lived, he deduced, in her work." - All these little clues to who Eve is are nice."
12/11/2010 page 139
45.0% ""The singer caught his attention. He cocked a brow, watching her roll her eyes and gesture. "Unless she's having some sort of seizure, I believe the vocalist is signaling you."" - LOL! I love Mavis. :)"
12/11/2010 page 162
53.0% ""His breath was coming faster. It stunned him how much he could want her still, baffled him that she could be blind to how helpless he was under the clawing need for her. It infuriated him that she could, simply by existing, be his weakness.""
12/11/2010 page 214
70.0% ""I don't worry about traditions overmuch. The fact is, I could change my mind as to whether I want something. For one reason or another, it could lose its appeal." - Ouch. :|"
12/11/2010 page 237
77.0% ""Do I steal, cheat, and smuggle now?" He turned and touched a hand to her face. " Oh, you'd hate that, wouldn't you? I almost wish I could say yes, then give it all up for you."" 2 comments
12/11/2010 page 305
100.0% ""And he doubted she'd remember she was telling him now. He'd make sure to remind her." - He's all heart isn't he? LOL!"
10/10/2011 "I had to do a road trip, so I started this as an audiobook. I heard good things about it from Sophia (Fiction Vixen) and completely agree so far. The narrator is doing great--love the accent variations--and I'm completely enjoying listening to Roarke's lines delivered in an Irish accent. ;)" 11 comments
10/15/2011
100.0% "*sigh* This was really good as an audiobook. The narrator has quite a talent for voices."

message 1: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Hope you will like this book, Catherine :D
This is my favorite series all the time ^^

Quinn You're reading it! I'll be interested in how you find it.

Catherine Ren wrote: "Hope you will like this book, Catherine :D
This is my favorite series all the time ^^"

I've heard excellent things about it. I hope I like it too.

Catherine Quinn wrote: "You're reading it! I'll be interested in how you find it."

I'll let you know. =)

Ally72 Super review!!! I agree with you and I am glad NR doesn't ruin the series by throwing love triangles in. Although, Eve and especially Roarke have pasts and that doesn't mean they still don't get jealous. There is such a deep love between these two characters and their relationship NEVER gets old with each book. I don't know how NR can keep the momentum like that up with these many books, but she does (in my opinion).

Catherine I don't mind jealousy (within reason), I just hate watching a character ping pong between men (or women). I find it off putting.

I'm glad to hear the relationship continues to develop and doesn't get stale!

Ally72 I agree with you and the relationship definitely doesn't get stale with up to the point I am at!

Quinn Nice review, Catherine, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I can understand why you liked the way the futuristic gadgets were included. I had trouble picturing some of them given the lack of detail, and while I didn't want an info dump, I would have appreciated some brief information over and above a name. I agree it will be nice to see Roarke and Eve's relationship continue to develop and strengthen over the coming books.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Catherine wrote: "I don't mind jealousy (within reason), I just hate watching a character ping pong between men (or women). I find it off putting.

I'm glad to hear the relationship continues to develop and doesn't..."

Thank you! This is my biggest pet peeve. I HATE when a character can't decide whom he/she loves. It really puts me off. Now you've made me want to start on this series. I've been putting it off for awhile now, because I usually don't like overly long series, and this one is loooong.

Catherine I can definitely see why you wanted more detail on the futuristic bits! I just seem to like (in this book and others) being presented the world as if I already knew what the author was talking about. It doesn't work for me with all books though.

message 11: by AH (new) - added it

AH I found one of the In Death books at a book sale. Then I found out it was #20 in the series. Do I commit to 19 other books? Are they all good? And what about all those other series I can never seem to catch up on? I'll have to cave. Great review, Catherine.

Catherine Krista wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I don't mind jealousy (within reason), I just hate watching a character ping pong between men (or women). I find it off putting.

I'm glad to hear the relationship continues to..."

I agree! The length of the series is incredibly intimidating. I guess I'm going to have to buckle down and work my way though them though. I liked this one too much not to keep going.

I, personally, don't find it understandable when a heroine dithers between men. I find it an incredible turn off to see relationships approached like that. But people must love them because they're everywhere.

Catherine AH wrote: "I found one of the In Death books at a book sale. Then I found out it was #20 in the series. Do I commit to 19 other books? Are they all good? And what about all those other series I can never seem..."

Thanks, AH! I've actually recently been thinking about going to my old reading habits. Pre-Goodreads, I mean. I used to find a series I liked and glommed them all. Now I skip around so much because of rec's and reviews that it's hard to keep up with them. I don't know...I still haven't decided for sure.

message 14: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Dec 11, 2010 04:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Catherine. I'm with Quinn. I didn't want an info dump but just a wee bit more elaboration about the gadgets etc. And I'm looking forward to seeing Roarke and Eve's relationship develop, too!

message 15: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina "It's no hardship for me to watch their relationship develop over the course of the books... So I'm willing to be patient and won't complain about the lack of a lot of depth to the relationship and characters yet."

That's the spirit, Catherine. Roarke and Eve's relationship is developed throughout the series and you'll get to know them better as you keep reading. At the point I am (I've read all the books except the last one), they're pretty much settled (I don't mean that in a bad way) but they have some bumps now and then - just like any other couple. Man, I love this series!

And I'm glad you didn't fall for Roarke. That's less competition for me, LOL. I'm tired of swatting away all his gazillion groupies. They just don't accept that Roarke is mine, mine, mine! ;)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Quinn, I've picked up Glory in Death from the library and am planning maybe to read it the week before Christmas as I'll be away at the beachtown. Does that work for you? Though I can wait til after NY to read it, too. Catherine, do you want to join in our "buddy read"? ^_^

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Catherine wrote: "Krista wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I don't mind jealousy (within reason), I just hate watching a character ping pong between men (or women). I find it off putting.

I'm glad to hear the relationship..."

Yeah, it does seem like people enjoy love triangles. I could never understand why. I think it really diminishes the the relationship of the couple once the heroine finally does decide, because if she had to spend so long figuring it out, are they REALLY in love? I especially hate when triangles are present in freaking romance novels! When the heroine is too stupid to realize which guy she loves! Ridiculous.

Catherine Dina wrote: ""It's no hardship for me to watch their relationship develop over the course of the books... So I'm willing to be patient and won't complain about the lack of a lot of depth to the relationship and..."

LOL! If I change my mind you better watch yourself. ;)

I have a lot more patience with the relationship development in a series that I know is devoted to following them. I don't have the same patience for the UF series where the heroine has a billion men to choose from and never really grows with any.

Catherine Lady Jayne wrote: "Quinn, I've picked up Glory in Death from the library and am planning maybe to read it the week before Christmas as I'll be away at the beachtown. Does that work for you? Though I can wait til afte..."

I don't know if I can wait that long... I was planning to go buy it and start it tonight. :)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Oh, no worries, Catherine! Go right ahead! ^_^

Quinn Lady Jayne wrote: "Quinn, I've picked up Glory in Death from the library and am planning maybe to read it the week before Christmas as I'll be away at the beachtown. Does that work for you? Though I can wait til afte..."

Catherine Krista wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Krista wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I don't mind jealousy (within reason), I just hate watching a character ping pong between men (or women). I find it off putting.

I'm glad to h..."

I agree. Maybe I'm odd, but I've never had any trouble figuring out who I should focus on when I'm interested in someone. If I become so interested in another person that I can't tell who I like more--him or the first guy--then I know things aren't right with the first guy and I should move on. Doing anything else is incredibly selfish and shows a lack of respect for the original interest.

I'm all about respect in my relationships, so that's why they offend me.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Catherine wrote: "Krista wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Krista wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I don't mind jealousy (within reason), I just hate watching a character ping pong between men (or women). I find it off putting.

..."

Exactly. I've never been in a position in which I couldn't tell which person I like more than another. It's just sort of obvious to me; I don't have to even think about it. And I agree with what you said about UF. That's why I pass on so many of the series out there. When a million guys are obsessed with one woman, I just feel like the whole thing is so fake. It's usually so unclear WHY the guy even likes her. And then the girl goes through them all, undecided. Apparently, this is what some women fantasize about, so I guess it's what they want to read about? For me, I would much prefer having one man that I really loved. I would hate having to break all those guy's hearts; it wouldn't be something I'd fantasize about.

message 24: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Dec 11, 2010 05:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Quinn wrote: "I'm drowning in library books, Jayne, but that should be fine. Just let me know when you're ready to start. I don't know if I can have 2 books on the go, so depending on where I'm at with my current read at the time, I may need to finish it."

Do you mean you've been...ahem...flooded with books. ^_~ LOL Sorry, I couldn't help myself! Haha. I'll see how you're going with your books when I think I'm ready to read it, kay?

Shawna Great review, Catherine! I need to get back to this series at some point, but there's just so damn many books to catch up on that it's seriously overwhelming.

Catherine Krista wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Krista wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Krista wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I don't mind jealousy (within reason), I just hate watching a character ping pong between men (or women). I find..."

I completely agree, Krista. I always feel bad for the guys and I've never had that fantasy either. I just want one guy.

Catherine Shawna wrote: "Great review, Catherine! I need to get back to this series at some point, but there's just so damn many books to catch up on that it's seriously overwhelming."

I agree, Shawna. It is daunting to think of. What number did you make it to?

Quinn Lady Jayne wrote: "Quinn wrote: "I'm drowning in library books, Jayne, but that should be fine. Just let me know when you're ready to start. I don't know if I can have 2 books on the go, so depending on where I'm at ..."

LOL, Jayne! No worries!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick My daughter loves this series, so much she even *gasp* pays for her own hardcover copies!

message 30: by Mrs. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mrs. Badass It's the only series I will buy in Hardcover. :D

Shawna Catherine wrote: "I agree, Shawna. It is daunting to think of. What number did you make it to? "

I've only read the first three books in the series, which means I've still got what, like 40+ left to go? LOL!

Catherine LOL!

message 33: by Fani (new) - added it

Fani Great review Catherine! I actually have the same fears that you had about starting this series: and what if I like it and have to spend my money on 30 or more books??? It's a frightening enough thought that has managed to keep me away for now, but definitely not for ever:)

message 34: by Katyana (new)

Katyana Nice review! This sounds like a series I should get my hands on!

Nissie Super review,Catherine! I'm so glad you liked it and that you're going to continue. So many people are reading this now, I think I'm going to dust mine off earlier than I planned and read along. I want to be up to date on these discussions. :)

Catherine Fani wrote: "Great review Catherine! I actually have the same fears that you had about starting this series: and what if I like it and have to spend my money on 30 or more books??? It's a frightening enough tho..."

I was actually whining about this after I liked the book and one of my friends directed me to Ebay. Wow, I feel behind the times! I didn't know there were such great deals for books there. I bought a lot of 24 In Death books for $36! It was a steal!

Catherine Katyana wrote: "Nice review! This sounds like a series I should get my hands on!"

Thanks, Katyana. I'd be curious to hear your take on it. I always find it interesting to see where our tastes align and diverge. We're so similar on some books it's like we have on brain, but then another book will hit us completely different. :D

message 38: by Fani (new) - added it

Fani Catherine wrote: "Fani wrote: "Great review Catherine! I actually have the same fears that you had about starting this series: and what if I like it and have to spend my money on 30 or more books??? It's a frighteni..."

I have to check it myself! Thanks Catherine:)

Catherine I hope you find a good deal too!

Quinn Man, you guys are so lucky with the cost of books over there. A similar lot in Australia would easily go for over $100.

Catherine That sucks, Quinn. :\ I know the availability of most books is much higher in the US (or at least the ones I want to read are) and I don't take it for granted. I know not everyone is so lucky.

Quinn Ah well. The Book Depository is great for new books what with the free shipping (yay!), but the ones out of print go for ridiculous amounts on eBay here. My wallet and bookshelf are happy, though!

Nefertiti I heard about this series, but never got around to trying it. I think I'll give it a shot now. Thanks for th review, Catherinee

Catherine Nefertiti wrote: "I heard about this series, but never got around to trying it. I think I'll give it a shot now. Thanks for th review, Catherinee"

I'm glad you it helped you find a book to try. :)

Arielka I think I found a new favorite series!! God I can't wait to have the next book!! (even thought I see this is a longgg series)

Catherine Arielka wrote: "I think I found a new favorite series!! God I can't wait to have the next book!! (even thought I see this is a longgg series)"

The length is a little daunting, but if there are still so many fans after that many books, she must be doing something right!