Annie McElfresh's Reviews > Hourglass

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: 5-star-awesomeness, favorites, my-favorites
Read in September, 2011

I just finished this novel and it was AWESOME. This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2011 and I’m happy to report it didn’t disappoint. This time travel novel defiantly stood out among the sea of paranormal books out there on the YA shelf.

Emerson is such a great character. She’s so flawed, which makes her seem real. She practically leaped off the pages. I loved how she was will to take risks. She wasn’t afraid to risk it all to go after what she wants. Her ability is amazing. It kept me hooked in the novel. I wanted to find out what she was capable of.

There are two boys in this book. Both totally swoon worthy. One guy, Michael, you meet at the beginning of the book and he has what I like to call the typical YA relationship with Emerson. She sees him and is totally smitten and talks about his hotness A LOT. I personally don’t mind a character being completely GA-GA over a boy, but I know it turns a lot of people off. Their relationship does grow, so hang in there for a little depth. The boy that stole the show for me was Kaleb. Let me just say, um, WOW. He’s hot. A little reckless, tattoos, muscles and totally into Emerson—my kind of guy. Kaleb wasn’t afraid to make it known that Emerson had another choice other than Michael. Kaleb was totally my pick. There’s a solid love triangle in this novel and I really want to see how it plays out.

The last ten chapters or so were the best in the book. I flew through them. My ereader could barely keep up. I love the twists and turns the story took. Myra did a great job weaving past, present and future together. I’m left with a ton of questions and what ifs after reading this novel. I can’t wait to get my hands on book 2 to get some answers!

www.youngadultbookworm.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hourglass.

Quotes Annie Liked

Myra McEntire
“Most of what I say is complete truth. My edit button is broken.”

Myra McEntire
“Aren't you just a knight in shining armor? ... Wherever do you keep your horse? And who scoops up the crap it leaves behind?”

Myra McEntire
“Hey, bro, do you think you can put Shorty back on her chain?"
I stepped forward with my hands on my hips, only slightly intimidated to find Kaleb almost eye level with me when he was seated and I was standing.
"First of all, no one is the boss of me but me. Secondly, if you ever reference my 'chain' again, I will kick your ass." I jabbed him hard in the chest with my finger. Possibly breaking it. "And thirdly, don't call me Shorty."
Kaleb sat silently for a second, his eyes wide as he looked at Michael. "Where did you get her? Can you get me one?"
I blew out a loud, frustrated sigh and dropped down beside Michael, who didn't even try to hide his smile. "You should probably apologize to Emerson."
"I am sorry." Kaleb grinned at me. "Sorry I didn't meet you first.”

Myra McEntire
“I walked in without knocking. The screen door banged to a close behind me announcing my presence. I followed my nose to the kitchen and found Kaleb standing by the stove. He stirred something that smelled absolutely delicious a wooden spoon in one hand and a huge chef’s knife in the other.

“Are you sober ” I asked from the doorway.

He turned and leveled a smile at me that made me a little wobbly. “I am."

“Good. Because if not I was going to take the deadly kitchen utensil away from you.” I crossed the room and pulled myself up to sit on the counter beside the stove. A cutting board full of green peppers and two uncut stalks of celery waited for attention from the knife. Melted butter and diced onions bubbled in a sauté pan on the stove. “You cook"

Kaleb was so pretty I was jealous. Pretty with ripped muscles and a tattoo of a red dragon covering most of his upper body. “Yes ” he said. “I cook.”

“Do you usually wear a wife beater and ” I pushed him back a little by his shoulder “an apron that says ‘Kiss the Cook’ while you’re doing it ”

He leaned so close to me my heart skipped a couple of beats. “I’ll wear it all the time if you’ll consider it.”

Myra McEntire
“Crazy like he's a serial killer, or crazy like he attends Star Trek conventions in full costume?"
"That's only crazy if you dress like a Klingon," I pointed out.”