Christina's Reviews > I Am the Messenger

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: high-school-and-up
Read on November 27, 2011

An intriguing premise builds to a powerful, suspenseful storyline that delivers an emotional punch at the end. Ed Kennedy stops a bank robbery and then mysteriously receives a series of playing cards that invite him to intervene in the lives of such assorted characters as a lonely old woman, an abused wife and her daughter, a priest in a rapidly decaying section of town, and a family that can not afford new Christmas lights. To use one of Zusak's favorite words, his prose is "impeccable." I will not forget this book or its message that the ordinary is often extraordinary when we take the time to view life from a new angle and connect more authentically with both strangers and friends.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Messenger.

Quotes Christina Liked

Markus Zusak
“Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are.”
Markus Zusak, I Am the Messenger

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by H (new) - rated it 4 stars

H I forgot how much I liked this book back when I read it in my YA lit class. I liked this book much more than I liked The Book Thief (a book I struggled to like, but just couldn't hang with). Thanks for reminding me of it :)

Christina H wrote: "I forgot how much I liked this book back when I read it in my YA lit class. I liked this book much more than I liked The Book Thief (a book I struggled to like, but just couldn't hang with). Than..."

I so agree with you, Helen! I connected with the characters in I Am the Messenger much more than I did with the characters in The Book Thief.