Mary's Reviews > Dark Matter

Dark Matter by Michelle Paver

Jul 27, 10

bookshelves: proofs
Read from July 25 to 27, 2010

To say that I love Jack London - all controversy notwithstanding - would be an understatement. So to conclude that I would love any book that even remotely echoes that wonderful feeling of the call of the wild and the North goes without saying.

I have not read Michelle Paver before and am now quite certain that I have been remiss in doing so. Having made several journeys to Spitsbergen (as she prefers to call it. Svalbard sounds more magical to me..) both in summer and winter, she captures the landscape effortlessly in her writing.

Dark Matter relays the story of a fictional expedition to a fictional bay - Gruhuken - just north of Longyearbyen. Set in the 1930's/1940's (different dates are mentioned, but that's undoubtedly just a proof mistake), Dark Matter evokes exactly the kind of adventure that I love. Man against the elements and without modern technology.

The horror story is, surprisingly, secondary to this particular narrative, I feel. Capturing the strange purgatory of the midnight sun and the respressive darkness yet stark beauty of the polar night, Paver weaves a beautifully descriptive little novella and one that I would quite happily read again. In fact I did; while trapped on the tube without another book. Despite having only finished the book this morning. Now there's an endorsement for you!

Mark your calendars folks; 21st October 2010. I'll expect a queue at the door!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Matter.

07/25/2010 page 35