Stephen's Reviews > Lord of the Silver Bow

Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell

6.0 stars. Put simply, I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! This is the newest book to make it onto my list of 6 star books and may eventually make it on to my "All Time Favorite" list. This is HEROIC fantasy at its absolute peak done by one of the best heroic fantasy writers of all time. The novel is the first of a trilogy focusing on the events before, during and after the Trojan War.

The main character is Aeneas (though his friends call him Helikaon). Helikaon is a Dardanian (a region to the north of Troy) whose father is Anchises, King of Dardania, and whose uncle is Priam, King of Troy (who is father of Paris and Hector). Helikaon is also close friends with Odysseus who he sailed with as a young boy. As with Gemmell's other books, Helikaon is a larger-than-life hero with a violent temper that he is constantly struggling with (think of a more sophisticated version of Druss from the Drenai series and you will be pretty close). I think Helikaon may be the perfection of Gemmell's heroic "ideal."

All of the supporting characters are equally memorable and include the giant best friend with a heart of gold, the wrongfully outcast son or a foreign king, the "honorable" enemy, quite a few "not so honorable" enemies, the evil king bent on conquest and the rogue pirate who loves to tell stories (i.e., Odysseus). I also really liked that the female characters (for the most part) were three dimensional characters and were both as "intelligent" and "tough" as the men. The character of Andromache is one of the best characters in the novel and is as strong and decisive as they come.

Add to the great cast of characters an amazingly well-plotted, fast-paced story that is fresh and original despite being part of one of the most often told tales in Western civilization (i.e., the Trojan War). This story looks at the war from a completely different perpective and you will not feel like you have read this before.

This was a truly amazing book and I give it my HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Silver Bow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Seak (Bryce L.) I have to read this now, thanks for the review. Loved Legend, but that's all I've read by Gemmell.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael I've been meaning to read this series for a year or two! It sounds awesome, and David Gemmel writes the heroicest heroic fantasy I've ever read. Are you gonna read the rest of the series right away?

Stephen I just bought the second book and hope to get to it soon. I have quite a backlog on my "on deck circle" bookshelf but I am planning on bumping one of the other books to make room.

message 4: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie This sounds like a series I'd like. Thaks for the great review and bringing it to my attention.

Stephen I am reading book three right now and it has stayed just as good.

message 6: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie That's good to know.

message 7: by mark (new)

mark monday going through your reviews is like finding a goldmine of to-read books. little did i know, this one was already on there, i had forgotten all about it. will have to move it up few notches.

Stephen I just finished the third book in the trilogy and I have to say that for what it is (i.e., heroic fantasy with larger than life characters) this series is as good as it gets. If you like these kind of stories, I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

message 9: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph Question: This is a re-telling of the Trojan War, right? But from the Roman (Virgil) slant instead of the Homeric version?

Stephen MrsJ, it actually combines elements of both Homer and Virgil but focuses on the events leading up to, during and immediately after the Trojan War. It plays out like straight historic fiction. In other words, no Greek gods show up, but there are some minor fantasy elements. As you can probably tell from my review of all three books in the series...it is a favorite of mine.

message 11: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph You know, I really like Gemmell...but I just finished slogging through both the Iliad and the Odyssey...I might have to put this one on the back burner, lol. I forgot how...bloody the Iliad is.

Stephen That may not be a bad idea. Best to start this when you are in the perfect mood for a big, larger than life heroic fantasy. The only other Gemmell I've read is Legend, which I really liked. This series, in my opinion, is much, much better.

message 13: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Teague Stephen. Thank you......
My book collection now reads as your all time favourite picks. Without reading your reviews I would never picked this up and had the privilege of reading a truly great book.
Thank you, I look forward to number 2&3.