Mona's Reviews > Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China

Factory Girls by Leslie T. Chang

Jul 25, 10

Read in July, 2010

Reading this during my first months living in China, I really learned a lot from this book. I bought it with a skeptical mind, thinking that the author might try to give an account of "the way things are in China today" as if any single narrative would do. However, I was impressed as Leslie Chang (the author) is appropriately self-reflexive throughout and goes to lengths to make it clear how she found, engaged with, impacted and was impacted by her sources, the "factory girls". The book was truly a thoughtfully researched and written insight into the contemporary lives of migrant women in China, balancing Chang's enthographic narrative, family history and journalistic statistical/fact dropping. My critique is that, while initially intriguing, the second half of the book begins to drag in the final chapters, as I think the sections on her family history were longer than they needed to be. I think she could have written a separate book on her family instead of jamming the two together under a single title.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Factory Girls.