Georgina's Reviews > Blue Smoke

Blue Smoke by Nora Roberts

Jul 24, 10

I've been reading a lot of Nora Roberts lately. I do prefer her contemporary romance/suspense to her urban fantasy but I feel the novelty is beginning to fade for me.

While I appreciate the immense detail Roberts gives us, showing an incredible amount of research in different areas, whether it be a location or a person's profession (in this case, arson investigation), I feel it takes away from the story itself, and the endings are too hurried. In Blue Smoke, she gave an enormous amount of description, especially towards the end, but the ending itself was dissatisfying (as if she'd reached her word limit or something).

I was also amazed that Reena (the protagonist) didn't work out who the bad guy was a lot sooner. It was a no-brainer as far as I could see, and I didn't have anymore information than she did.

Still, Nora Roberts does romance and relationships well, whether it's romantic relationships or relationships within families and between friends.

Even with the flaws, I found it, for the mostpart, a good read.

Note: I would caution anyone who is particulary squeamish about firestarting (setting both objects, and people alight) against reading this. She delves into the mind of the madman, and it's not pretty. There is also a rape scene towards the end, which I found difficult to read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Smoke.