Richard Wright's Reviews > The Passage

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Jul 24, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in July, 2010

Describing this engrossing book as a post-apocalyptic vampire novel does it no favours - even as a devoted horror reader, such a descriptive just makes me sigh. The book itself though, an amazing, epic story about hope and survival, made me breathless in different ways. I lost myself in it, for a week, sitting down to read it when I had far more pressing things to do. In many ways the book is really a trilogy in its own right. There's the opening quarter, as the stage is set for the end of the world, and the apocalypse falls. There's the siege novel, a hundred years later, as a colony of survivors try to fend off the things that ended the world. Then there's the quest, through a horrific post-apocalyptic America. Each is superb, filling you up with people and places and events that never happened, and making them real. The book ends well, on an ambiguous note, and only then did I realise this is the first part of a trilogy. Unlike some, who apparently felt rather cheated when they discovered this, I was delighted. Two years is a long time to wait for 2012's The Twelve, but knowing it's coming makes me happy. In the meantime, The Passage finds a good place to close, as some things conclude, and new chapters are about to open. I recommend this one strongly, and hope you get to it before the inevitable movie comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passage.