Jasmin's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Jul 30, 10

bookshelves: dystopia, fiction, historical-fiction, historical-romance, humor, paranormal, paranormal-romance, zombies, parody, reviewed-by-me
Recommended for: Zombies in search of more brains
Read from July 24 to 29, 2010

IT IS A TRUTH universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.

In Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen introduced us to Miss Elizabeth Bennet, a perfect heroine any romance novel would desire to have. Elizabeth is a no nonsense type of girl. She’s not the typical type of girl from the ton, whose only ambition is to find herself a husband. And last but not the least, she is not unaware of her imperfections. But in Pride, Prejudice and Zombies; Miss Elizabeth Bennet is still our no nonsense girl, but she has mastered the Shaolin arts, wields the katana with dignified grace and, should I mention, kicks zombie butts?

Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy is still our lovable hero, but I imagine him with well sculpted abs, since he’s trained in the deadly martial arts and proficient with both sword and musket.

But. The dreaded but. Despite the new and improved main characters (I have to say that only the awful Mrs. Bennett was unimproved. She was still awful), despite them being perfect from the start, this book lacked Jane Austen’s grandeur. Even upon the addition of a thousand unmentionables (AKA zombies), it still couldn’t be up to par to Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice.

The book though had its moments. There were times when I laughed a little. But those moments were so seldom. Most often than I was supposed to, I was counting the dreadful pages left. But the book just kept on dragging on. I was too eager to finish. Jane Austen’s P&P, was a tiring read, but P&P and Zombies, is much more tiring. It’s P&P, only with the zombie twist. The dialogue and plot was either Jane Austen’s or Austen-ish. If someone wanted a P&P reread, this book could do, just omit the zombies, then you have Jane Austen’s unadulterated version.

But if there’s one thing I greatly appreciated in this version of P&P, it was that *spoiler alert* Wickham was tendered lame and useless by our well-loved Mr. Darcy. Therefore, he could no longer walk and will be tended by his wife, Lydia Bennet for their entire lifetime. Lydia will also spend most of her time emptying piss pots. A fitting punishment for the both of them, don’t you think?
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Quotes Jasmin Liked

Seth Grahame-Smith
“Of all the weapons in the world, love is the most dangerous.”
Seth Grahame-Smith, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Jasmin thanks Zosia! :)

message 2: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Awesome Review!!! Never thought I would find a Pride and Prejudice book about zombies!

message 3: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Well since I'm not a zombie (though I could use more brains), I'll give this one a miss. Great spoiler Jasmin!

message 4: by Nissie (new)

Nissie Great review, Jasmin! I might give this one a try when I don't want to read anything else :)!

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly This, I think, is even a greater love story than that of jane Austen's. The love is truer. Zombies smell because they're already dead, yet despite this big turn off, love prevails.

message 6: by Bry (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bry That spoiler is one reason I loved this book! Gotta love it when people get what they deserve!

Jasmin thanks everyone!! :)

message 8: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell You're welcome Jasmin!