Barbara's Reviews > A Secret Kept

A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay

Jul 24, 2010

liked it
Read from September 12 to 14, 2011

A Secret Kept bears no relationship to Sarah's Key, by this author. It is also set in France, where the reader discovers the wonders of the countryside, the power and beauty of the sea and the culture and bustle of the city (mainly Paris).

De Rosnay has skillfully narrated this novel in the voice of a male, successfully capturing his emotions throughout. In addition to facing a mid-life crisis, he has unresolved feelings of loss and love for his failed marriage, his difficult relationships with his adolescent children and many problematic issues with his own parents.Despite his numerous dilemmas, I found him likable and interesting. It was also a pleasure to view his closeness and devotion to his sister.

Throughout the narrative there is the thread of a mystery, which I will not divulge here. Although this is not a heart-pounding thriller, deRosnay was able to sustain interest and seductive suspense for the reader. Her prose and character development were compelling and complex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Secret Kept.

K.D. Absolutely Seems like a good book to read on an easy summer day, B.

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose I'm sorry to hear that. I had high hopes after Sarah's Key.

Barbara Rose, I did like this book (3 stars), but it was not quite as impressive as Sarah's Key. It was, in fact, perfect reading material for me during this time when so much else is happening. I actually think that you might like it!