Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books)'s Reviews > The Replacement

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Oct 10, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, reviewed-on-blog
Read from July 24 to 25, 2010

This book was NOT for me. Probably one of my least favorite books of all time. I don't want to be mean. This isn't to say no one will like it. Heck, the author is published, so she's better than me in that way. But I just could not stand this book. So much profanity, so much vague-ness, so many things left unanswered.

*sigh* Sorry, world.

FULL REVIEW (posted on www.SqueakyBooks.com 7-27-10)

I have never given a book zero stars on my blog before. I don't usually like to review books that I have such strong negative feelings for. But there has been a lot of hype for this book around the blogosphere, and I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't give you guys my two cents. I'm going to try to be nice, I have nothing against the author. She's published, which is a lot more than I can say.

In regards to the book-- The premise was so interesting! A faerie trying to live in our world with all the downsides of being a faerie. It's cool, right?

I also really liked Mackie's sister Emma. She was the only person actually willing to do something about the chaos that was Gentry and Mackie's life. His parents... I was glad that they kept Mackie and didn't treat him like a freak, but they still bothered me. For reasons to be explained.

The entire book was extremely vague. No one in the town of Gentry ever talks about ANYTHING. They all know that there are strange things going on, but no one does anything about it. Even Mackie's best friend never questions his weird behavior. I recognize that there was probably a deep meaning behind this. But I just couldn't find it. I just found it extremely annoying, and it made the characters seem very two dimensional. So many questions were left unanswered that just made me so frustrated.

Also, the profanity. This book is described as "Edward Scissorhands meets The Catcher in the Rye." This probably should have tipped me off, since I couldn't stand TCitR. This book had so much profanity, and underage drinking, and immorality. *sigh* I just don't want to read books that gritty. I can handle some grit, but not to that level.

Anyway. Lots of people love this book, including plenty of people whose opinions I really respect. But just be aware when you pick it up that it is very edgy.

I hope I wasn't mean. I didn't want to attack the author or book in any way. Every book has its place, even if it's not on my shelf.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement.

07/24/2010 page 177
50.0% "Geez. THIS was NOT what I was expecting."

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Hey Enna! I've got this waiting on my shelf...
how do you like it so far?!

Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books) I'm gonna start it tonight. I'll let you know!

Miss Clark Wow, that is pretty strong coming for you. Doesn't sound like it will be up my alley. At. All.

I had read plenty of positive reviews, esp. that focused on the inspiring aspect of his family (Emma) and friends. Does that portion of the story make up for the profanity/nebulous plot?

Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books) I realy liked Emma. A lot. But I wasn't a fan of his parents, and it certainly didn't make up for the profanity.

And I didn't like his friends. They were so... Aloof.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist wow Enna. Ummm my heart seriously plummeted in my stomach while reading this review. But I've got an ARC and I want to read it...but I want to know specifically what I could be getting into. Can I message you for more details, please?

Miss Clark Enna Isilee wrote: "I realy liked Emma. A lot. But I wasn't a fan of his parents, and it certainly didn't make up for the profanity.

And I didn't like his friends. They were so... Aloof."

Ah, makes sense. Thank you!

I really liked how you handled the review! Sometimes I just plain disliked a book, even though tons of others loved it and I appreciated this: "Every book has its place, even if it's not on my shelf."

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Edward Scissorhands meets Catcher in the Rye? Wow, that sounds cool. (I really liked Catcher in the Rye, maybe this book is more for me … :D)

Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books) If you like Catcher in the Rye, you will probably like this book.

message 10: by Josey (new)

Josey Jagelski profanity?

Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books) HARDCORE profanity.

Nathalia I wouldn't necessarily call it "hardcore profanity", I personally think the book would've felt a bit a bit empty without it. It's kind of like having a character threaten another character by using words such as "arse", it just loses the effect.

Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books) Nathalia wrote: "I wouldn't necessarily call it "hardcore profanity", I personally think the book would've felt a bit a bit empty without it. It's kind of like having a character threaten another character by using..."

I don't know how profanity gets any more hardcore. But I understand what you're saying. Some people see swearing as a necessary "seasoning" for a book. I personally don't. :)

Ebony-rose Yeah I agree with you both. i think that the fights in this book weren't so intense that swearing was necessary as in other book swearing just adds to remorse,fights and intense pain.

Amy Nielsen I couldn't agree more

message 16: by Karen (new) - rated it 1 star

Karen Vasey You are so right, you can't be wrong!

message 17: by Lea (new) - rated it 1 star

Lea But WERE the demon-creatures living in the House of Mayhem fairies?? I never fully understood exactly what they were-- I don't remember them being clearly defined once in the book. I thought, maybe fairies, maybe demons... I was very confused with who Mackie and the Morigan and her crew actually were!