Taracuda's Reviews > Veracity

Veracity by Laura Bynum

Jul 24, 10

Read in July, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I did have to laugh that in many ways, this book, read like a liberal's version of Anthem. The forbidden words. The lost knowledge. The dysopian society. The difference is that instead of losing themselves to a communist society, the characters have been swept up by a totalitarian regime by giving up their liberties for protection from a pandemic.

Still, I really loved the characters and watching Harper come to grips with the difference between what seems and what really is.

I did have to suspend my disbelief at times, and I would have actually her to have longer to get her head around all the changes. I would also have liked her to spend more time with Gage before deciding that she loves him; the cynic in me kept thinking she loved what he represented, but hardly knew the man himself. But at the same time, I don't think the book would have been as satisfying if they hadn't fallen for each other.

As with many distopian novels, it reads as something of a warning, especially with how closely it mirrors some of the debates and current events of the early 21st century. It managed not to be heavy-handed with the metaphor, fortunately.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veracity.