Bradley's Reviews > It Came from Below the Belt

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: bizarro, mine, out-of-print

Out of print.

Review by Professor Arthur Papsmear:

The author of It Came from Below the Belt should have been drug tested for amphetamine use prior to publication. If, by any chance, chemical criminality were not to blame for this literary abortion, Mr. Sands clearly has an advanced case of Attention Deficit Disorder and the book is his idea of a radical form of therapy. It is written in a manner that embraces style over substance, using an onslaught of wordplay, gimmicks, deconstructed clichés, and lowbrow humour as a sleight of hand trick designed to take the reader’s attention off the nonexistent plot and the author’s inability to write. Mr. Sands struggles to persuade us of his cleverness, but instead, ends up convincing us that he penned this “tour de force” solely with the assistance of his tail, thesaurus, rhyming dictionary, and his own feces. A plethora of insipid metafictional literary devices are utilized, going as far as to include a fake book review within its pages. Particularly scathing is a ‘homage’ to a chapter from Chandler’s Farewell, My Lovely. Mr. Sands may call it a tribute, but this reviewer calls it a rip off!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Came from Below the Belt.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kate Thanks for the heads-up. I have been procrastinating on purchasing my copy, but no longer. I also ordered your other book Sorry I Ruined Your Orgy can't wait to read both!

Bradley Thanks for buying them, Kate.

message 3: by James (new)

James Only four stars? What the hell is wrong with you

Jasmine that's sad.

message 5: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay Slayton-Joslin I can get a copy for about £8, might go for it if it is so difficult to get hold of

Bradley That's around the cover price. Only one of the "Amazon Sellers" on Amazon.com has a copy that is below that rather than more expensive. Well, not so much more. The least expensive copy besides that one costs about $6 more. But the other copies get more and more expensive.

message 7: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay Slayton-Joslin Have any plans to try to put it back into print?

Bradley Yeah, but I don't know if it's happening.

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard Is Papsmear the person who appeared in some of the Police Squad films starring Leslie Nielsen?

Bradley Not that I'm aware of.