Kim's Reviews > One Good Dog

F_50x66
Jul 24, 10

bookshelves: audiobooks-read
Read in July, 2010

A great book with some great messages! This was not ONLY an entertaining story; it also incorporated life lessons - the appreciation for what is truly important in our lives. A story of lost love, rebuilding severed relationships, humility and the true meaning of love. One of those that you just can't put away until you've reached the end.
I expected the book to focus more on the relationship with the dog, but I found that the dog really just acted as the catalyst - the dog gave the man a new awareness, teaching him to see things in a new and unselfish way.
Also built in was the hope of awareness for a breed that is very misunderstood. I think the book certainly made the case for me concerning dog fighting. It's hard to imagine that people really find entertainment in something so cruel. I live in a city where owning a pit bull is very difficult. There are special licenses to obtain & additional fees to pay; as well as a mandatory ongoing insurance policy - all just for the ability to own a pit bull in my town. These laws were created after two children were maimed and one killed in three separate pit bull attacks in one summer. I can see the reason for the laws, but - until we punish the PEOPLE that make the dogs dangerous, there is no other answer but to prohibit the breed. Totally sad - we barely slap someone's hand who is found guilty of animal cruelty but we are not supposed to lose a wink of sleep when we have to destroy the animals who were given such a rotten fate by their people.
Anyway...lots to think about which is why it's a super great book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Good Dog.