Maureen's Reviews > In The Name Of Honor

In The Name Of Honor by Richard North Patterson

Jul 24, 10

bookshelves: afghanistan, crime, juries, mystery, novel, military
Read in July, 2010

Of all the crime/thriller writers working today, Richard North Patterson is one of the best. He becomes interested in a subject - whether it be U.S. national politics, Palestinian/Israeli relations, or in this case, the war in Afghanistan and the physical and psychological devastation being inflicted on U.S. troops - and winds a mystery around the topic. By the end of the book, not only has the reader experienced a really good story, usually with a strong plot twist,but also learned something substantial about the topic which caught Patterson's interest.

In this case, an Army court martial is at the center of the story. I just finished working on a real trial where several potential jurors had served on a Board of Officers, so this was of particular interest to me. I did not know that each side in a military trial only gets one peremptory strike, or that the number of people on the jury varies depending on how many potential jurors are removed for cause. I also did not know that the officers on the jury have to be superior in rank to the person on trial.

I gave the book four stars, because it was a satisfying story and because of what I learned. It did not get the highest rating, however, because at times the dialog was too literary, and not authentic to the voices of the characters. This minor quibble aside, Richard North Patterson has delivered again, and I look forward to reading his next endeavor.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In The Name Of Honor.