Lady Rutledge 's Reviews > Love in the Afternoon

Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas

Mar 06, 11

bookshelves: historical, lisa-kleypas, family, there-s-3rd-person, stiff-hero, tortured-hero, cheerful-heroine
Read from February 16 to March 06, 2011

I don't know why I kinda disappointed with this last book of the series. But I gave this 4 stars, because I really admire the heroine character, Beatrix Hathaway. She's unique as herself.

My lil' disappointment maybe because it took long time for me to read it (it just has been published in my country), then this book rate is the highest in the series, many recommendations to read it, I read all of the previous book in this series, and so on...

Just as the LK's other couple, this couple has big chemistry. They couldn't live without each other. If they didn't get together, they would have remain single forever! :D
Beatrix Hathaway, nature-lover, innocent, smart and lovely. She keeps every poor animal and take a really good care of them.
Christopher Phelan, traumatic-after-war soldier, a hero on field, feeling bad about all bad war tragedies.
They met accidentaly in letters. Misunderstanding at the beginning. But there's love comes, no one can't resist.

For Hathaway fam's fans, of course you could see more of the relationship between them. Funny and damn lovely! Leo and Cam have big roles here. And yeah, Hathaway might be a weirdo, bad manners, brutal... But damn, I wannabe one of them! Wish I could live at Ramsay House!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Afternoon.

Quotes Lady Rutledge Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“Bending his head over hers, Leo murmured, "When I give you away at the altar, Bea, I want you to remember something. I'm not really giving you away. I'm merely allowing him the chance to love you as much as the rest of us do.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Captain Phelan,” Cam asked, choosing his words with care. “Have you come to ask for our consent to marry Beatrix?”
Christopher shook his head.

“If I decide to marry Beatrix, I’ll do it with or without your consent.”

Leo looked at Cam. “Good God,” he said in disgust. “This one’s worse than Harry.”

Lisa Kleypas
“After a universal silence, Leo was the first to speak. “Did anyone else notice—”
“Yes,” Catherine said. “What do you make of it?”
“I haven’t decided yet.” Leo frowned and took a sip of port. “He’s not someone I would pair Bea with.”
“Whom would you pair her with?”
“Hanged if I know,” Leo said. “Someone with similar interests. The local veterinarian, perhaps?”
“He’s eighty-three years old and deaf,” Catherine said.
“They would never argue,” Leo pointed out.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Beatrix puts a distance between herself and the rest of the world. She’s very engaging, but also quite private in nature. I see the same qualities in Captain Phelan.”

“Yes,” Amelia said. “You’re absolutely right, Catherine. Put that way, the match does seem more appropriate.”

“I still have reservations,” Leo said.

“You always do,” Amelia replied. “If you’ll recall, you objected to Cam in the beginning, but now you’ve accepted him.”

“That’s because the more brothers-in-law I acquire,” Leo said, “the better Cam looks by comparison.”

Lisa Kleypas
“What kind of wedding would you like?" he asked, and stole another kiss before she could reply.
"The kind that turns you into my husband." She touched the firm line of his mouth with her fingers. "What kind would you like?"
He smiled ruefully. "A fast one.”

02/16/2011 page 10
3.0% "Interesting prolog! XD" 5 comments
03/05/2011 page 300
90.0% "It might be the best of Hathaway... ^^"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kas (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kas I really loved the beginning of this book!

Lady Rutledge Kas, :D how about the ending then? :)

message 3: by Kas (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kas If I can remember right I felt like it kind of tapered off toward the end! It started so promising that I felt kinda let down that the couple couldn't live up to that same romance in real life.

Lady Rutledge Yes! I agree with you.. I have a really hi-expectation for this book. And then I found it, it's not that good... I prefer the Married by Morning as the best of the series. ;)

Lucie "a heart so wild" Oh Lady Rutledge, I luv beatrix & christopher so much...this book will be put in my top 10...hehe...