Carolyn (Book Chick City)'s Reviews > Waking the Witch

Waking the Witch by Kelley Armstrong

Reviewed by Laura for Book Chick City.

It's no secret that I'm a huge Kelley Armstrong fan. I was hooked since I picked up my very copy of 'Bitten' and then had to run to the shops to buy 'Stolen' immediately after. For those who haven't read any of her books, they follow women with supernatural powers, the books are a series, but often have different lead characters.

This book follows powerful, young witch Savannah. Savannah's been in in the series since the second book, but she's always been a child or more recently, a teenager. So it was with great anticipation than I opened the crisp front cover looking forward to her first story as an adult.

Savannah has been left on her own running the Paige & Lucas's supernatural detective agency. Desperate to prove that she's responsible & can manage her own cases without their supervision, she jumps at the chance when a new case comes in.

She finds herself investigating the murders of three young women in a small town. But a six foot, motorbike riding, young woman arriving in town is bound to be noticed and she find herself the attention of unwanted attention from several different parties. Cue, local rednecks, a resentful and incompetent local sheriff, a local commune and town bad boy and you've got all the key ingredients of a small American town murder mystery.

Savannah is the daughter of dark (and dead) witch Eve who has had a couple of books of her own. Raised by good witch Paige, she is a nice mix of Paige's morals, with some of Eve's darkness thrown in, which means she's not against crossing the line when she needs to. I loved her sass and determination and her mixture of compassion and bullishness

Now, historically everyone of Kelley Armstrong books have also included a great love story and it was not what I expected it to be in this novel. I waited for the arrival of half-demon Adam with baited breath, knowing that Savannah has been desperately in love with him for years. But this was danced around without any real development. I guess I'm just going to have some patience on that one!

For those who haven't read any of the other books, there are quite a few references to past characters, but for the most part you could pick it up as a standalone novel. I think as Savannah is so young, it will appeal to YA fans too.

There were a couple of disappointments with this book, it didn't feel quite supernatural enough for me. There was of course magic, but it really more like a murder mystery than the complex supernatural world that I've come to enjoy in Armstrong's books. But, the mystery is undoubtedly a good one and kept me guessing until the end.

Secondly, it felt more like half a story than a whole one. Things were left very open at the end and I can only assume that there is a sequel on the way. But the ending seemed a touch rushed and unfinished because of this.

VERDICT:

This book is written with Kelley Armstrong's pacy, page turning style that is one of the reasons I'm such a fan. If I'm honest, it's not as good as some of her earlier books, not enough magic and exploration into the supernatural world. But, never the less I enjoyed it and if you're a fan I'm pretty sure you will too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking the Witch.