Kirsty (overflowing library)'s Reviews > Across the Universe

Jul 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: review-books
Read from February 01 to 06, 2011

I have been waiting for this book for ages and unlike a lot of the "hyped up" books I have read recently I was not left disappointed!

I enjoyed several things about this book. I firstly loved how original it was, I'm not aware of (and certainly haven't read) anything quite like it. I loved the Sci Fi spin but also how it wasn't really geeky Sci Fi and quite accessible to someone who wouldn't usually read that genre.

The first chapters of this book was excellent. The scenes describing the process Amy and her family went through to be frozen for their voyage were quite harrowing and much more real than any film I have ever seen the process being portrayed in.

The first half of the book is quite slow but engaging throughout. I enjoyed meeting the main characters and finding out about the ship and its mission to a new earth. I loved how it flicked between Amy and Elders differing narratives and loved finding out more about the ship and life on board it from their very different perspectives. I spent a lot of it feeling totally heart broken for Amy and the situation she finds herself in. During the scnes when she sits and sobs I wanted to sit and sob with her.

For me the book turned a corner with the scene when Amy was attacked duing the Season in the field. I thought it was really well written and it marked a turning point in the story. From there on the pace of the story sped up and so many twists, turns and revelations were thrown at me that I didn't want to put the book down. There are some fascinating storylines which are unpicked - ideas about the season, the great plague and those about how leaders should ethically rule. Without saying too much about the final outcome I will say it was awesome and left me surprised and desperate for more.

All in all an awesome debut novel set in a fantastically original world with brilliant characters. I can't wait for the rest of the series to be released!

11/12/2016 marked as: read

Cicely I love this book so much! :D

SJH (A Dream of Books) I'm dying to read this one! Glad you hear you enjoyed it :)