Nic's Reviews > Saving Francesca

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

Oct 12, 10

bookshelves: 2010, favourites, realistic-fiction, young-adult, aussie-ya
Read from October 10 to 12, 2010

I lean against a streetlight and throw up, just near his shoe. He looks down at the ground and then at me. 'The gucamole was a mistake' he says, matter-of-factly. For the second time that night he makes me laugh. 'Don't make me have to you like you,' I tell him.

Loved this book! Marchetta is one truly brilliant writer. This is realistic fiction at it’s absolute best. I fell in love with every single character but especially Thomas Mackee. He made laugh. I can’t wait to read The Piper’s Son for his story.

Read this book, there is no possible way you will be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Francesca.

Quotes Nic Liked

Melina Marchetta
“I can't believe I said it out loud. The truth doesn't set you free, you know. It makes you feel awkward and embarrassed and defenseless and red in the face and horrified and petrified and vulnerable. But free? I don't feel free. I feel like shit.”

Melina Marchetta
“It's a weird smile, but it reaches his eyes and I bottle it. And I put it in my ammo pack that's kept right next to my soul and Justine's spirit and Siobhan's hope and Tara's passions. Because if I'm going to wake up one morning and not be able to get out of bed, I'm going to need everything I've got to fight this disease that could be sleeping inside of me.”

Melina Marchetta
“He bursts out laughing. It's short, as if he regretted allowing me to make him laugh, but the satisfaction's already mine.”

Melina Marchetta
“I just stare at him. I want to ask him a thousand questions, but I can tell he doesn't want to be asked.
"We make weird friends," I say instead.
"I've never been into the f-word with people."
"I'm privileged, then? Why me?"
He thinks for a moment and shrugs again.
"You're the realest person I've ever known."
"Is that good or bad?"
"It's fucking awful. There's not much room for bullshit, and you know how I thrive on it."
We laugh for a moment and begin walking again.”

10/11/2010 page 123
49.0% "Thomas is my favourite :)" 14 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jul 24, 2010 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

oliviasbooks This is the book I want most to re-read.

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Did you like it more than On the Jellicoe Road?

Alexa Hope you like this one as well! :D Melina is so good with her characters, and I love the twists (no matter how major or small) she adds to her stories. It always something unexpected and always surprises me. :3

message 4: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jul 24, 2010 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

oliviasbooks Yes, it is my very favourite from Marchetta's novels - although I love them all (I still wait for The Piper's Son to be release in the UK or US). It hurt a lot, too, to read it, but I was so insanely happy at the end. I didn't know then that a book could still make me this happy.

message 5: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Olivia, I'm going to try and get Saving Francesa next week. The Piper's Son is out here now.

I haven't read Looking for Alibrandi either but I have seen the movie (which was good). I always get scared when I've watched the movie first as I'm afraid the images will ruin the book.

I think I might be joining you as a fan girl Alexa :D

message 6: by Alexa (last edited Jul 25, 2010 09:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa Nic wrote: "I think I might be joining you as a fan girl Alexa :D"
Yay! :3

I watched some of the Alibrandi movie, and I did notice some differences. Instead of 4 friends like in the book, there are only 3. I think the girl who was dropped wasn't really important to the story. But I think the movie followed the book pretty well. Melina was actually the one who wrote the screenplay. ;) (Seems she writing the Jellicoe screenplay as well.)

message 7: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Jellicoe as a movie! I wonder who will play Griggs :D

~Tina~ Looking for Alibrandi was a movie? Oh awesome! I'm going to have to try to find that since it's the only book I can't find at my lib!

I'd love to see Jellicoe as a movie:D

Alexa @Nic: Ooo any Australian actors come to mind? 8D

@Tina: Yep! Came out 2000. I watched it on YouTube. ;)

Morgan F I can't wait for the Jellicoe movie, now! It's the only Marchetta book I read because it was the only one at the library, and her books usually aren't in local bookstores.

message 11: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Alexa wrote: "@Nic: Ooo any Australian actors come to mind? 8D

Hmmm....I can't think of any that are hot enough. ~sighs~ I want to re-read it already :D

Alexa :D

message 13: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic It is so good but I'm not suprised :D

~Tina~ Great review! I still can't find a copy of Pipers son though:(

Janina Tina, I think The Piper's Son is only available in Australia and New Zealand at the moment :(. Like many other great books, unfortunately. It realeases in the US/UK in March 2011. Can't wait, I'm so excited to read it!

~Tina~ Thanks for the heads up Janina!

Arlene I'm a Marchetta fan now. I need to read this!

message 18: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Arlene, you do need to read this. It is amazing!

Thanks Tina, I wish The Piper's Son was out over there for you.