Bookaholics's Reviews > Kiss of the Rose

Jul 24, 10

Kiss of the Rose by Kate Pearce
Paranormal Romance- Aug. 3, 2010
5 stars

Lushly imaginative and superbly sensual. I was enthralled by Kiss of the Rose. Assassins, Druids, secrets cults and a pact with the King of England make for exciting intrigue.

Fresh and untried, vampire assassin and powerful Druid Rosalind Llewellyn has come to the Tudor court to protect the King, Queen and England ’s people from the vampire blight. But she soon encounters an obstacle in the intensely attractive and arrogant Druid Slayer, Sir Christopher Ellis. He is part of a family that has been a long time enemy of the Druids and murderers of her kin. But his sudden appearance and her evasive conversation with a manipulative representative of the Vampire Council leads Rosalind to feel there is something she is missing. She feels something more dangerous is at stake than her mission to hunt down a rogue vampire.

The sexual tension and utter magnetism between Rosalind and Christopher is amazing to read. Every interaction was exciting and thrilling as they battled their age old distrust with their fiery attraction for each other. I loved how the author delves into Christopher’s conflict as he tries to protect Rosalind even though she is his enemy. I also enjoyed Rosalind single-minded focus and devotion to her job. She was a very admirable and courageous character that I could not help rallying around her.

It was enthralling to read the conflict between the Druids, the vampires, and cult of Mithras (of which Christopher belongs to). This involving history makes for a richly textured and absorbing plot. Christopher is very seductive and I wonder that Rosalind was able to hold out so long. But the tension between them made for some very HOT and sensual scenes! But even as Rosalind tries to stay away from Christopher outside forces and a mysterious prophecy seem to push them closer...

Rosalind is informed by her grandfather to seduce Christopher and then Christopher is ordered by his uncle to seduce her! I loved how the plot thickens... I especially liked to read Christopher’s admiration for Rosalind grow. And how he was strong but didn't try to put Rosalind down because she was equally strong but instead defended her. I enjoyed how they begin to care for each other. Both are outcasts in their own families. This sense of loneliness each carries made them very sympathetic and I was so happy they were able to find each other!

Decadent and alluring Kiss of the Rose is an exhilarating treat that will consume all the senses. There is real feeling of danger as the characters plot against each other and try to discover the truth. I loved how both clashed against each other in a war of wits and sensual allure. Although the passion between the 2 main characters smolders it is not as erotic as the author’s regency series. The only drawback is that this story is part of a series and as such leaves the main characters somewhat hanging. But in this case I am extremely glad since I don’t want their adventures to end!

Usually I find the Tudor times rather uninteresting but this story enthralled me with its danger and sensuality. Kate Pearce weaves a tale with passion, magic and exciting intrigue that kept me up all night. This is a phenomenal series that is sure to be a hit.

Reviewed by Steph from Bookaholics Romance Book Club

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of the Rose.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Cool! So glad you enjoyed it Steph!
Book #2 "Blood of the Rose" which comes out in Feb 2011 is also about Rosalind and Christopher, but it does conclude their love story, so not too long to hang LOL
Kate Pearce x

Isalys Brilliant review :) I also loved this book and can't wait for Blood of the Rose!!

♥Isalys