Jim's Reviews > An Expert in Murder

3872023
Aug 26, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: mystery
Recommended for: fans of historical mysteries
Read from July 23 to August 24, 2010 — I own a copy

I have to admit that when I purchased this book at my local used bookstore, I didn't really know what I was buying. I had read a mystery by Josephine Tey about ten years ago and I thought I had found another—under the title on the cover it says: “A Josephine Tey Mystery”. This book is by Nicola Upton, with Josephine Tey as the main character.

An "Expert in Murder" is an entertaining British mystery set in the 1930's theatre scene in London. The fictional characters are placed into historical events so that the concept of Shakespeare’s "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players " is happening on several levels at once similar to a Russian doll. I particularly enjoyed the way that Upson links so many of the characters together with a shared connection to an event in World War I.

I would have given this book four stars instead of three, but I thought that the murderer was a little too easy to guess. Maybe I was just extra intuitive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Expert in Murder.