ivana's Reviews > The Haunting of Nathaniel Wolfe

Jul 23, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: library, mystery, pretty-shit-fucking-awful
Read from July 23 to 24, 2010 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Nathaniel Wolfe is the son and forced assistant of Cicero (formerly Henry) Wolfe, false spirit-medium, widower and drunkard. They live in a poorer area of London, Nathaniel often going hungry, and Cicero often stumbling home drunk, after the death of Louisa - Cicero's wife, and Nathaniel's mother - ended the career that Cicero and Louisa held together as stage performers.

One night, during a seance, Nathaniel experiences bone-chilling cold, and Sees a woman dressed completely in white. This woman, it turns out, has been murdered by husband, and together with Lily Campion, a girl who Nathaniel saves from attempted purse-nicking,they prevent the murder of Lily's Mistress, who is the daughter of the woman in white.

I enjoyed how neatly the ends tied together, but found them tied together a little too neatly. Some surprise would have been good, especially concerning plot predictability. Also good was that the character weren't dumb, but nor were they overly intelligent.

I didn't enjoy the way that Keaney tried to turn a simpler murder mystery into something grand and wonderful, by adding seances, drunkard fathers who later abandon their sons without a second thought, and a single occasion of child abuse. In my personal opinion, you need a little more to really get the story going. A meeting with a desperate Widowed Queen Victoria didn't help.

As a person that gets spooked at the smallest of things, this really didn't fulfill my expectations as a ghost-story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Haunting of Nathaniel Wolfe.