Crystal Starr Light's Reviews > Slave Ship

Jul 23, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: read-at-your-own-risk, star-wars, so-boring-it-s-boring
Read in May, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 2

Please just shut up and do something already!
Fett, Dengar and Neelah leave Tatooine and outsmart Bossk, who lay in wait for them. In the backstory post-A New Hope, Fett continues to destroy the remnants of the Bounty Hunter's Guild.
NOTE: Based on the novel (read years ago) and the audiobook.

I Liked:
I wasn't too impressed with him in The Mandalorian Armor, but here Kuat of Kuat really becomes interesting. Part of that may be that he actually does something other than watching video feeds of scenes from Return of the Jedi. Here, he has to face off with other noble clans who would love to get rid of him and place themselves as leaders.
Another character I really liked was Balance Sheet, on of Kud'ar Mub'at's sub-assemblies. I liked how he was cunning, I liked how he was subtle, and I liked how he seemed important.
Jeter can write some really nice actions scenes. When Bossk is leaving the Hound's Tooth, thinking there is a bomb, it was pure adrenaline. I also enjoyed reading Boba Fett nab the Imperial Stormtrooper defector.

I Didn't Like:
As my review title indicates, everyone in this book loves to talk...too much. Of all the books that could be 100%, pure, frenzied, unrestrained action, this is the one that you would think would be brimmed with it. It's about bounty hunters! Ruthless, cunning, manipulative bounty hunters, always clawing for the bounty. Now, there are a few moments like that (I mentioned it above), but unfortunately, they take a backseat to everyone's talking!
Xizor spends so much time talking, talking, talking to Vader and Palpatine about his plan, divulging every last detail down to the bow ties and the underwear! And when he isn't yammering to Palpatine about his plot, he is thinking about how diabolical he is and how soon Vader will fall.
Kud'ar Mub'at is another talker/thinker. He spends way too much time gloating over his intelligence, while his own sub-assembly develops independence and starts to undermine him! Wake up, Spider-boy!
But by far the worst is Boba Fett. He has always been portrayed as relatively silent and cryptic. Not here. Here, he can't shut up for two seconds. He'll launch into a detailed description of what is going on, what the situation is, and what will happen if you cross him with little provocation (and yet, he never seems to divulge anything useful...). Have mercy! I mean, it is so easy to skip pages (or if you are listening, tone out several minutes) and not miss a thing! Bad!
Now, we know this is book two of the Bounty Hunter's Trilogy, so you would probably want to read book one before, right? Well, maybe, maybe not. You could probably launch directly into book two, with the copious amount of recapping and filling in that is done. I am all for some reminders, but I don't need a blow by blow of how Dengar rescued Boba Fett from the Sarlac.
Questions get answered...but as absolutely slow as possible. We are starting to see how the two stories correlate...sort of. Personally, all it does to me is make Neelah more annoying. God, if I have to hear how she doesn't remember her life one more time...

Dialogue/Sexual Situations/Violence:
Mild (I couldn't recall anything honestly).
Neelah was a dancer at Jabba's palace.
Even with all the talking, some violence occurs. Explosions, firefights, Vader choking Xizor, that sort of thing.

Overall:
This book makes me sad. It took a cool concept and really made it boring. Not to mention, if all the repetition, recapping, and TALKING were cut out, this book would probably have been the last four chapters to the first book. So, unless you like to read about people thinking and then talking to everyone for pages on end about what they were thinking, I would pass.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slave Ship.