Manday's Reviews > The Lightning Thief

Jul 27, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, fantasy-scifi, seasonal-challenge-2010-summer, young-adult
Read from July 23 to 27, 2010

Narration: The first person perspective brings unique challenges, especially for a children's book. Riordan fails entirely to surmount these challenges. The narrator goes from sounding way too smart and too interested in describing random crap one minute to being a complete dunce the next.

Plot: One of the things that makes a good children's book be an adult book as well is that you don't figure out too much in advance. If the author made the overarching plot any clearer he would have just put it on the first page, with all the excessive hints he gives to the main character (which, by the way, the main character ignores)

Character: Speaking of which, am I supposed to love these characters? Because I don't. They all come off as flat. Percy is an idiot who somehow lucks into pretty much everything. Is he not amazed by this world? Does he not want to explore his own powers when he starts to discover his control of water? I think the author forgot what it is like to be a kid. The girl is not memorable and has stereotypical female weakness forced upon her, and Grover is unsympathetic and boring.

Action: The action sequences are completely lacking. Why and how does Percy manage to just luck into win after win? Everything is simplistic, there is no depth and the escapes are all too easy. If Percy can do this, anyone can and its nothing special. And, how on earth do they manage to run into every "monster" known to man in one 10 day trip?

World Creation: Riordan goes out of his way to incorporate as much mythology as possible, but his world lacks a desirability that is needed in this type of book. The world he creates is so capricious and corrupt that I cannot see how any kid would want to enter it. I have to agree with the first few lines that, based on this book, its great I am not a half blood. Essentially, world, the magic, etc, lack fun, wonder, and whimsy. Also, there is distinctive moments where this seems to just rip imagery and ideas about how Gods would be on earth from Neil Gaiman's

Concept: This is a great concept. That is what makes the rest so sad. This could be such a GREAT world, and such interesting plotline and awesome action scenes, but its not. It just falls entirely flat.

American Gods
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightning Thief.

07/23/2010 page 100
07/23/2010 page 100
27.0% "I spend most of the time I am listening to this thinking about all the things that are wrong with it, never a good sign. It has its entertainment factor, but not even in the same league as some books it is compared to (such as Harry Potter)"