Hannah's Reviews > The Heretic's Daughter

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

May 04, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, historicals
Read in May, 2011

This book became an incredible, un-put-downable read after a somewhat slow begnning. Personally, I didn't mind the slow paced beginning, as I felt it set the stage for what would transpire in the final 150 pages, but I do see how readers expecting a fairly instantaneous exposure to the Salem witch trials and hangings might be put off by the steady yet meticulous fashioning of the world of her characters, notably the Carrier family.

Author Kathleen Kent happens to be a descendant of Martha Carrier, who was one of the people hanged as a witch in 1692 because she steadfastly proclaimed her innocence of the charges laid against her. Kent grew up with the family stories of her Carrier ancestors, and decided to incorporate them as well as real life historical data into this fictional novel. In doing so, she presents a story and a family that seems very realistic to the time period, and very human to the modern reader. It is a poignant and graphic portrayal of the dark side of human nature, and of the mass hysteria engendered by fear, greed and superstition. But it also gives us a glimpse of the strength and courage of the human spirit to overcome those base instincts - even when the attempt to do so ultimately ends in death.

I very much enjoyed The Heretic's Daughter, and will be on the lookout for more books by Kent in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heretic's Daughter.

Sweetp-1 I'm (still) stuck in the "slow beginning stage" - your review is helpful though, I will persererve I think. I can see it setting the scene for things to come, but the pace is so slow...

Hannah Sweetp-1 wrote: "I'm (still) stuck in the "slow beginning stage" - your review is helpful though, I will persererve I think. I can see it setting the scene for things to come, but the pace is so slow..."

Yes, the slow start/pace can be off-putting, but I hope you'll enjoy the story by the end. Good luck SweetP!