Trixie Fontaine's Reviews > On Subbing: The First Four Years

On Subbing by Dave Roche

Jul 23, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-consumption, non-fiction, i-want-more-like-these, brained-differently, teachers, pac-nw-nonfiction
Read from July 23 to 24, 2010

If cool weblogs were perfect they'd actually be books . . . exactly like this! Trim personal topical journals published independently and/or by small presses . . . exactly like this!

Note to some of the critics: the guy wasn't a certified teacher, he was an ASSISTANT in special ed classrooms. How can you read the book and not get that? Further proof that we need more true stories like this from inside the special sub-sub-culture that is authority figures within schools-within-schools.

Captured the awkwardness of trying to relate on a human level to children while retaining some of the boundaries required and/or necessary to maintain order in the classroom and some of the ethical struggles of BEING ethical within systems that are paradoxically UNethical.

Sometimes moving, sometimes funny and a very fast read conveying both the absurdity and value of public education for kids with special needs and for all of us just getting through our days doing shit that society tells us is important but is basically meaningless . . . and coming to see its importance anyway. Existentialism lite, like The Plague with drool, diapers, and kids throwing sticks at raccoons while they're trying to fuck.

Edited to add: you might "get it" better if you've taught or worked in classrooms in some capacity. Folks who can't remember what school was like or have no experience in schools as adults might not be able to relate or accept some aspects of the reality of public education.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Subbing.

07/03/2016 marked as: read