Daria's Reviews > Hedda Gabler

Hedda Gabler by Henrik Ibsen

Jul 23, 10

bookshelves: classics, theatre

I liked this one more than A Doll's House - it was longer, expanded into a greater cast of characters, and was infinitely more complex. It was also more difficult to understand (not in terms of what happens, but in the ways that the characters relate to each other). I probably missed all the allegories/symbolism/stuff English papers are made of, but that's alright for me (even though I wouldn't mind discussing this play with a knowledgeable teacher or two).

Enter Hedda Gabler - bored, fallen, headstrong, and violent - who yearns for the old days in which she could pull the strings of all those who orbited her person. As the disillusioned romantic, she wishes to go and shape others' destinies once more. I was not as impressed with the clashes of characters on Ibsen's stage, though, as I was with the scope of the play itself. Act after act takes place in Hedda's parlour, but through Ibsen's genius dialogue the set expands into a street, a city, a nation, and even a range of mountains, all in our minds. What happens offstage is as (if not more) important as what goes on onstage, and what we do not see with our eyes our imaginations do not fail to conjure. Bravo, Mr. Ibsen, and encore.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hedda Gabler.