Camille's Reviews > The Collector

The Collector by John Fowles

Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: obsession, kindle-version, 2012
Read from February 05 to 11, 2012

This book really freaked me out.

The first part of the novel is told from the first-person narrative of Frederick Clegg, an odd and lonely city hall clerk who collects butterflies. We immediately learn of his obsession with Miranda, a local art student he never met nor has spoken with. Since the story is told from his point of view, we see how he follows and stalked her, learning about her and judging her. It's extremely creepy to see his thought process and how he interprets his actions... which to him, is all because he loves her.

This book makes me want to stop smiling and being nice to strangers, because you never know how that simple act of kindness could be misconstrued as love in a sad and lonely mind. Okay, okay, that probably won't happen to me but after reading this you can't help but wonder in the back of your mind if that odd ball guy/girl at your job/coffee shop/etc that you occasionally smile and say hello to has a shrine and lock of your hair which he worships every night. (kidding here... sort of).

The second part of the novel is from Miranda's point of view while she's held captive by Frederick. This part, I have to admit wasn't as interesting as Fredericks but it gave the novel, on a whole, good balance. So we can see both sides of this creepy story.

I won't give any spoilers here but it's an interesting read which will surely creep you out. Especially since every night on the news we hear about missing woman, children, and anything on Dateline MSNBC.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collector.

02/06/2012
10.0% "This book is really freaking me out..."